The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Twin scroll manifold/turbo on vr4..

Hey probably massive newbie question but looked everywhere but uncertain of finds, will the twin scroll turbo and manifold be a direct fit on my E39A or will the feed/return lines be different.. I have a new turbo outlet to suit too..
Cheers..

Last edited by a moderator:

LIV4PSI

Nevermind, forgot your car was RHD.

Last edited:

Areck

Good Questions I want my Extra Evo 10 turbo to fit my gvr4. I am thinking about having a custom manifold made.

RedTwo

THE twin scroll turbo?
Evo 4-9? Yes, it would bolt up if you removed everything on the cam belt side of the motor.
Evo 10? No, different manifold to head bolt pattern.
Twin scroll aftermarket turbo with suitable manifold to fit VR4? Yes.

belize1334

I still don't understand why nobody has made a twin scroll mani to put an EvoX turbo on a DSM. Spool of a s16g but tons more power, and unlike the 3-9, it's pointed the right way. If FP makes a cast DSM manifold, why don't they make one for that setup?

Won't jus the air intake be on the other side? And yes it's a evo 7 set up..

EMX5636

The intake will face the alternator/power steering pump and the exhaust will exit out by the front engine mount/transmission area. It can be done, I've seen T3 setups flipped like that, but not without moving a lot of components.

I'm pretty keen to make it happen, I'm thinking twin sided fmic with custom piping, and intake.. Look out of place but different I guess..
I got all the evo stuff cheap as so it's worth giving it a shot!

RedTwo

Quoting belize1334:
I still don't understand why nobody has made a twin scroll mani to put an EvoX turbo on a DSM. Spool of a s16g but tons more power, and unlike the 3-9, it's pointed the right way. If FP makes a cast DSM manifold, why don't they make one for that setup?

At least two companies do this - Revspeed and someone else - made to order for about $800USD

Yes, it would look cool and you can get the parts cheap enough, but getting it all to work quickly becomes uneconomic, unless you can do all the fab work yourself.
For $1000USD you could get any one of Forced Performance's custom bolt on turbos, which put out 51-65 lbs/min /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

My mates a kick ass fab, he builds some pretty cool stuff, jus finished a motorised car tilt trailer so hopefully should be able to hook something up! When I start I will post progress and hopefully show people what we've done!

Vr4junkie

This is a Pic of WaRrIoRs16 setup JMF bottom mount t3 TS manifold heres the link if you wanna check it out click

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

What turbo setup are you going to go with if you go twin scroll?

onesickcrx

So is the issue that since its RHD exhaust manifolds different?

It's a standard evo 7 set up, the difference is everything is opposite to the vr4, the inlet is the other way and the outlet faces the ground. The dump is also the other way round so the 02 sensor, feed and return lines will need adjusting along with everything else.. Was wanting to see if anyone has done this before..

RedTwo

The Evo 9 turbo is too large, but the Evo 7 turbo may *just* fit in the gap between the head, radiator, bonnet and top of the current manifold (basically where the upper intercooler pipe runs) if you flip the evo manifold upside down and make a head/manifold adaptor.
That's a big may, and a big just though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

What if I made an adaptor plate for the manifold/turbo to spin the turbo the right way..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned