The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

air filter chamber (custom air box)

tektic

Edit:
Finished Product

I have always wanted one of these, and since my 2G intake tube did not fit as intended I figured no time like the present.

Here is my cardboard mock up. Maybe start cutting metal on Sunday.

Last edited:

coyotes

damn that chassis is clean

and looks nice. I would like to do that with mine eventually.

tektic

Its easy to keep clean when it's been in the garage for a year. Its so dusty though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tektic

I ordered 45 degree unions and t-bolt clamp for the piping. Still need a piece to use as a bov nipple.

I'd like to see other people's designs for this type of mod. Post shots if you have them.

Last edited:

tektic

The black one in the last picture. Just behind where the headlight should be.

cheekychimp

Can't you just remove it? It's only there because that hole isn't used on the USDM cars. It is utilized in cars that have headlight washers. There is an OEM reservoir that bolts underneath that panel and the filler neck comes up through that hole. You will find a small hole in the radiator support behind the headlight that the filler neck clips into. I have pictures of one in my build thread and you might be able to see the filler neck in the pics of my GTi.

Just remove the plug and keep it in case you want to plug it again. There is no special plug used when you fit the washer bottle. I've had two stock cars with the headlight washers and there was never any plug/grommet in there.

The washer bottles make great meth reservoirs.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting cheekychimp:

The washer bottles make great meth reservoirs.

And you a police officer, tsk tsk tsk.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
"Tap Tap Tap"

... rolls window down ...

"Is there a reason you weren't going faster, son?"

"Yes Officer, I ran out of Methyl Hydrate"

"I just happen to have some spare in the back of my car, wait here!"

Cause you just never know .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

tektic

That air filter heat dam looks mint!

I've been wanting to do this for years, just never got off my ass to start it. Ideas ... thinking wrinkle coat black again ....

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quoting tektic:
Oh, ok. Didn't know that. Thanks.

If you ask some of the UK/EU guys they should be able to pull them off a base Galant. If not, I understand DSM washer bottles are very similar and simply require some new holes drilled for mounting bolts. You probably don't need one though right? You just want to remove that plug.

Quoting iceman69510:
And you a police officer, tsk tsk tsk.

Actually I have no idea what the law is on meth injection over here. I bet (the way things are at present) that it will be illegal, irrespective of where the reservoir is placed. I'm assuming it is either (a) illegal or (b) considered inadvisable to place the meth reservoir under the hood.

If you are running straight meth, I think that it probably would be silly/reckless. If you are running a 50/50 water/meth mix then technically it shouldn't make any difference to having a regular washer reservoir under the hood since many windscreen washer fluids have up to a 50% concentration of meth/alcohol. Of course in our scenario it is plumbed into the engine but that side of things is there wherever you place the reservoir.

But yeah, you caught me Iceman. Given the way regulations are going over here, I figured if I plumbed in the entire headlight washer system (I pulled it from my base Galant), and plumbed the external feed carefully, it would probably go unnoticed. A tank in the trunk is almost certainly going to raise eyebrows and questions which equals FAILURE!

JNR

I think he meant methamphetamine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheekychimp

^^^ Yeah I don't really rate that stuff. I tried it in the daily once. It cost a sh*t load and didn't make the car any faster!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JNR

lol...on a serious note though, you should be able to get away with the windshield washer fluid that has high % of methanol; like the -20 F or lower rated...Or, not sure if you can get HEET there, but it's 97% methanol (want to say the yellow bottle, but could be the red...may have those colors backwards).

EDIT - yeah it's the yellow bottle and it's 99% methanol. Only ~$3 per 12 oz., but is considered hazardous material so shipping might be $$$.

Last edited:

tektic

hmm... Off topic much? I was hoping to see pics of other peoples custom air boxes.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

BENE38A

heres mine ,its just fibreglass and bolts to the intake pipe with a filter inside nothing spesh but looks good

EHmotorsports

Looks good! What did you use for a filter?

cheekychimp

Quoting tektic:
hmm... Off topic much? I was hoping to see pics of other peoples custom air boxes.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Modified, not custom!

And here's pictures of that fluid reservoir in my friend's car together with the same airbox for reference.

Last edited:

BENE38A

its a k&n filter that came on the car known here as "pod" filter.
a.k.a cheap filter haha

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned