The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

???/2000 Build - WI

DougPorcaro

Well I suppose it's time to create a build thread of my VR4 I have been slowly working on for almost a year now. I always loved GVR4s and joined here back on '06 because my friend bought one. My problem was I could never find a clean, rust-free one here in WI. And when I did find one relatively rust free, it was way out of my price range. I came across this one about a year ago and got word that it spent it's whole life in Florida, and was driven here in the summer. Soon after it got here the engine blew and it has been basically sitting ever since. It was def a real hack job, put together with random dsm parts and more wire splices than I can count. But being completely rust free is what won me over. Since then I have put a TON of work into this car, and the end (for my satisfaction) is no where in sight. But it is a work in progress and a real challenge on a collage student's budget. Well enough of the talk, here is some stuff about the car.

Right now, I am shooting for the most power possibly obtained from a stock block and head. It's mainly to prove a point of the real potential of OEM parts. It will also have full refurbished interior maybe with some leather Evo seats. After I prove my point and the motor blows I am planning on building a bullet proof motor accompanied by a bullet proof trans. The car will also never have a cage installed, EVER. My goal is to have an insanely clean, fast, and unique street car. Here are a few details on it:

Engine - assembled 100% by me
Block
- bored .020
- 2g pistons
- Federal Mogul competition main & rod bearings
- BSEK with OEM stubby (balance shaft bearings were spun so oil ports were drilled and tapped for set screws)
- new oil pump and front case
- ARP head studs and MLS headgasket
- BLE solid tensioner and Gates kevlar timing belt
Head
- 3 angle valve job and resurface
- New OEM valves/springs/retainers
- 3g lifters
- BC 272's
- Generic adj cam gears
Oiling
- 90 oil filer housing
- B&M oil cooler with -6an lines
Misc
- Jay Racing alt relocation
- All around Prothane mounts
Cooling
- Half size aluminum rad
- all around big ol' an fittings welded to water pump/thermo housing and rad with ss briaded lines (in works)

Trans/driveline
- Exedy stage 3 PP and 6-puck sprung disk
- Fidanza flywheel
- Trans - rearend stock for now

Intake/exhaust
- Custom fabbed air-water intercooler (complete with water reservoir, radiator, and water pump. All SS lines will be used)
- Tial Q bov
- Custom fabbed VSR intake manifold with Q45 throttle body
- FP race manifold coated with chrome ceramic coating
- FP HTA DSM86 turbo (not purchased yet)
- Tial 44mm wastegate (not purchased yet) Recirculated dump
- 3" turbo back exhaust with all v-band joints to 5in diesel truck exhaust tip (in works)

Fuel system (setup for E85)
- custom dual pump hanger (in the works)
- dual walbro 255's
- -8an line from tank to rail (in works)
- -8an Fuel lab filter
- FIC fuel rail
- FIC BlueMAX 1550cc injectors
- -6an to fuel lab FPR to stock return (in works)

Suspension/rims
- Custom un-monster truck springs just to lower the damn thing
- K-sport coilovers (not purchased yet)
- Knock off 16" TE37's
- Konig 18 X 8.5s

Management/electronics
- ECM Link V3
- 3.5in GM MAF
- ECM GM MAF cable direct to ECU
- Self-made COP setup
- APEXi AVC-R
- All the gauges I need (in works)
- In-car computer (still designing)

Deleted things
- Full non-ABS conversion
- Cruse control
- A/C
- Power steering
- 4WS
- All emission crap obviously
- Other small crap you don't need
- Also relocated battery to rear

Other things I want/will eventually get
- Shep trans and T-case
- one piece D/S
- 4 bolt rear
- build an engine with forged internals after I blow this one
- manual seat belts
- JDM hood, front and rear bumpers
- Fresh coat of Nile Black
- And a lot more

There are also things probably I forgot and other things not really worth mentioning.

Here are some pics:

When I first purchased it

Finished Engine:

As it sits now:

Mock up with an FP Green turbo and generic wastegate setup:

Somewhat how the intercooler will mount:

I still have a whole lot of work ahead of me. Some of the stuff you see will probably change too as i am always altering things a little. If I had to guess when it should be running, i'd probably say next summer.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:

joemoto

Love the intercooler

vapid

Did you have any issues with clearance using that jay racing alt relocate kit?

gmp

all i have to say is dang!!!!

DougPorcaro

Thanks guys

and Vapid - I had dent the frame rail in a few mm. It fits without doing that but rubs. It doesn't take much though, you can't even tell I dented it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

324vr4

How are you going to do the intake tube from the turbo? Just stubbed to filter or do you have a routing you're going with? The build is beautiful, great work!

DougPorcaro

Thank you. I am just going to run a cone filter off the turbo. I was thinking of running a 45 off of the inlet to place the filter a bit lower, but I don't know how necessary that would be

1990ggsxnj

More please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

DougPorcaro

Haha yeah, well i know it's going to blow up sooner or later so i would just be denying the inevitable. Plus it will give me an excuse to spend all my money on building another motor. Though the next one will probably cost 4 times as much.

And more is on the way! I am in a tight position financially at the moment, so not much more will get done anytime soon. But I'll keep you posted

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned