The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pulled head and found some suprises

bmxr152

Well ive been having problems with pushing coolant and thought it was the head gasket. After pulling the head for the first time since i bought the car i found a 3 layer mls blown out into the water jackets on cyl 1,2 and 3. Anyways i found it has some porting on the intake side, and also had two different valves. It had some stock valves and some Beck/Arnley valves (found out by looking on rock auto). Anyways im worried having two different valves installed. They look a little different on the stem thickness and how their designed overall. Should i just buy some new valves, just replace the last couple of stock valves (2 intake, 4 exhaust), or just leave them. Im going to have a valve job, valve seals, and guides installed.

In the pics you can see that the valve stem area is wider and a different shape than the stock valves, also the valve face that says made in japan sits higher than the stock valves. You think it effects anything?

here some pics

Last edited:

personally I would replace all the valves, stem seals and if guides are worn then replace them as well. better to do it now while the head is off than to have to pull the head off again in a couple of months because stem seals are leaking or a valve has burnt out.

boostedinaz

^^^^

Agree a 110%. If you are doing all that other work might as well toss some new valves in as well.

bmxr152

Yeah im going to get some new valves, i guess ill just have to wait another week to get the head off to the shop. Anyways i noticed that the head looks different than my 1g head. In the combustion chamber there is a protruded cylinder and on my 1g there is not. Also the coolant jacket holes on the 1g have slots on the intake side and on my head they are flush. Is the galant head different?

Overkill

The valves should be fine even with a poor man's water injection, but the machine shop can check them for you.

jepherz

Staff member
I'd ask the experts as well. No sense in replacing parts that can be cleaned up and work like new.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned