The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Prepping an Engine

Will be upgrading my stock 4G37 (1.8L SOHC Carb Engine) on my Galant real soon, will be mounting a
4G63T 7bolter from an Mitsubishi RVR, engine has been sitting around for around 2-3 years, maybe more
(rough estimate) and given that taking the head out is not an option (trying not to spend on
ARP headstuds), Any suggestions on how to prep the engine prior to mounting it? Ill be replacing
everything that I can, belts, waterpump, the usual etc etc, I actually just wanna make sure that the
engine internals are properly lubed up prior to the initial start up, I dont wanna scrape
the cylinders and stuff (as mentioned earlier engine has been sitting around for quite sometime)

Also any suggestions on how I can thoroughly clean out the engine? Aside from the usual change oil and
flushing, any other neat tricks you guys can share?

Thanks!

You want to 'prep' it; but not take the head off? I'm confused......?

If it's been sitting for a few years I would tear it apart and inspect all the bearings, rods, pistons, valves.....everything. If it's all good you can put it all back together without spending a dime on the motor itself.

If not and things need to be replaced; that doesn't mean you need to buy ARP headstuds or other stuff equally as expensive, just buy stock replacement stuff.......

oh ok, sorry about that, I meant prep in a like, of course it wouldn't be a good idea to just mount it and start it up, as mentioned earlier its been sitting around for awhile, although when it was taken from the car as a whole unit, it was just literally lifted from the engine bay and shipped, that's how the Japanese engines land here in Manila. (not my actual engine)
engine2.jpg

engineonly.jpg

So I was thinking if there was a way I could make sure that all the internals are lubed up properly before
starting up the motor, cause most of the oils would have probably settled by know leaving all the galleries
and what not pretty much dry. I just need to get the car running. I don't really have the time and budget
to open it up and go at it thoroughly, although that would be the best way to do it of course, and I would
gladly do it if only I could.

We usually get whole cars from Japan and cut em' up into 2.
more often than not it lands here as frontcuts like these . .
75176_169132546448015_100000538136447_485193_3640573_n.jpg

72247_169132583114678_100000538136447_485194_140439_n.jpg

I know . .. such a waste, they are usually fresh units when they get to the chopping block in Japan,
they just get banged up after they are halved and when they stack em up in container vans.
Japanese body parts like doors and stuff have a high tolerance against rust, unlike the
local units which came out here,which is why most guys here grab the body parts too.
all that's left behind are of course the RHD components.
Some importers stumble upon aftermarket goodies which of course fetch a higher premium.

Some bring in the rear halves as well for those who wanna convert locally released units to AWD
(the vr4 wasn't released in Manila)

If it's a turn key guarantee; don't do anything......unless upon a visual inspection it needs to replaced; like belts or plugs.

If you're not comfortable with that then tear it apart.

I don't really see an in-between.

89Mirageman

I say just make sure you drain all of the oil and replace it with fresh, then turn the engine over to prime everything with the MPI fuse pulled once its installed.

Off topic a little but the engine you're dropping in may not have the threaded holes on the front for an engine mount. I beleive the rvr's had the mounts on the tranny case much like our 2g dsm's do. Not a really big deal but you may have to get creative on finding a way to mount the front of the engine.

AnotherNewb

If the motor is sitting out of the car it wouldn't be that difficult to pull the timing cover off and hook an electric drill to the oil pump to prime it.. just be sure you get the balance shaft back in phase before you put the belt on.

moidsm1

From experience with a used motor, you should replace the timing belt. Mine ripped after a few thousand miles on my Used jap motor. first replace the oil, then While you have the timing belt off connect a drill to the oil pump and just let it spin at high RPM for a few minutes just to be sure the oil is being moved around inside. once you have the belt re-installed, before starting let the motor pull the EFI fuse and disconnect your coil plug. Let it crank a few turns before reconnecting everything for startup. Then start it back up, It will most likeley smoke for a while if the valvestem seals are dry but other than that you should be good.

Thanks guys, looks like Im going the all out tear down route . . . will try to keep yo guys updated. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned