The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mounting Engine on a stand

56belair

I'm from Parker, Colorado. My dad has a 91 VR4. We have the transmission and transfer case rebuilt. Our next step is to assemble our engine.

We have an old engine stand that works great with a V8 (we've used it for a Chevy). The hardware we have won't accommodate this 4cyl.

Any suggestions on where to get a stand or hardware to mount the engine block up to an engine stand? I need someone to respond perhaps with pictures of their engine on an engine stand please.

Paul
Parker, CO

MellowVR4

I'm sure you can just go to a hardware shop with the thread size, and just compensate for the space in between the stand and the block. Mounting points are where the tranny mounts to the engine.

90ggsx

That's how I have mine mounted. the bottom bolts are just transmission bolts, and for the top two, I can't remember what I used, but they were bolts for the motor it's self also haha! I hope this helps

Last edited:

BogusSVO

I do not know what brand of engine stand you have. But I do not have any issues swapping from a SBC or SBF to a 4g block.

I have 14 engine stands.

The 4g Main bolts are the perfect length to mount a 4g block to the stand. On some stands the trans alignment dowels need to be pulled out, If the engine stand's arms will not slip over them.

Ill get you some pics of blocks on stands in a bit.

mitsuturbo

The smaller harbor freight engine stand is what i used this last time. Works fine. Although a circlip for one of the wheels fell off once and i had to fix that... that's what you deal with when you buy sh*t from shipwreck freight.

I too use the main cap bolts to hold the engine to the stand. I've also used the front and rear motor mount bracket bolts with a lugnut as a spacer between the head of the bolt and the stand.

biglady112

If you get in a bind i have two stands here that are set up for a 4g63 you can use. The bellhousing bolts are 10mmx1.25 thread pitch. I am local to you if you get into trouble.

89Patches

I just use old manifold to turbo bolts. But I guess it depends on the stand you get as most may need different length of bolts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned