The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator - which would you choose?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
02 housing is wrapped, just not super visible in the picture. Alternator is charging properly per the temp related output chart. I have yet to have a +35C plus humidex factor with fans going, AC on, to confirm a near max load and real world driving scenario ala stop and go, low speeds and highway. I have been close and the alternator and radiator seem to do just fine. I am on stock boost for an Evo3 and haven't been pushing it to higher load levels yet via tuning, because I just got the base tune sorted and have yet to dial in the MAF comp sliders.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Update for those interested in long term reports and gremlins if any.

Put roughly 1200km's on the car so far, and things are looking good.

Voltages are right on spec with the Mitsubishi temperature regulation chart, all the way up to 220 degrees celcius in the cooling system in stop and go traffic.

Bear in mind, I have no stock power/ground wires left in my system, they are all minimum 4 awg or larger, 2 awg for the starter feed.

I wrapped all my new wiring into the loom that tucks into the factory plastic shield under the radiator support. Just fits in there with the AC condenser ..... just.

Removed all the factory feed wires from the alternator entirely, within the harness. Essentially the harness was completely reworked and tape and insulated if need be right by the alternator positive
terminal.

So, even with heat soak and the roughly 30 percent larger wiring needed in an engine bay/high temp environment to safely run power and ground, I won't be having any issues with what I have installed currently.

Battery is in the trunk and IIRC, is a group size that just fits in the confines of the Taylor stainless boxes. Lots of CCA in this battery.

Okay, so the only hiccup that my car has is idle until things warm up. Surprise! It's something we all deal with because of the design of the air way and electronic compensation.

Otherwise my fans draw things down pretty good and then add the AC compressor and signals (which by themselves will still bounce the voltage need on my Defi Racer Blue gauges).

So, that is it for today's update. The car is off the road till the salt washes off the roads in the spring or my headgaskets let go in a furious fashion on the Legacy. First world problems.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned