The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Come on eprom

cOmpressor

I'm pretty sure a few of you guy's have experienced the same thing I just went through, about to open your ECU and hoping it hasn't crapped out. Just noticed the burns and also looks like a capacitor to a dump all over with a little more burn near that area. Is it salvageable?

Last edited:

Actually you may want to send this to terry, there is some burned drivers.

marvinmadman

Looks like you are going to have problems very soon unless you get them caps replaced and the board cleaned up and repaired.

wow i did not know that i was thinking of swaping my eprom if the one i buy doesnt come with one

Terry Posten

The "drivers" look fine.

However, the 47 and 100uf caps are leaking and have damaged the board.

Someone will need to remove the two finger boards to clean the acid damage properly.

You MUST get that acid off right now.

**EDIT**

I never blew up the pic. At least 1 driver will need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

GVR4 came from the factory with Eprom ECUs but that does not mean they still have them in the car.

The only way to make sure is to open the can up. You can't even always go by the PN on the outside either.

cOmpressor

Ya I didn't even notice the damage at first, the car has been sitting but will the damage continue even if the ECU is not being used? These are the areas I am most concerned about.

Last edited:

Terry, look closely on them, it looks like there is 1 that has a charred mark on it.

Terry Posten

Yes, the ECU will go bad just by sitting.

Pictures are not the way to diagnose issues, I need to have it in my hands.

i did not know that they would go bad from sitting my car sat for a few months and i now need a new one or everything re-done

Terry Posten

The ECU should not go bad by sitting or running but the caps that Mitsu used back in the early 90's were junk.

They leak due to heat/vibration.

The vibration causes the seal around the legs to fail. The heat causes the electrolitic fluid to run out and start eating stuff.

Lets just put it this way, If your caps are stock, replace them ASAP.

They will leak sooner or later.

Terry Posten

I biggest thing to do is check your ISC BEFORE you reconnect the fixed ECU into the harness.

Looks like you have a coil that is a direct short.

We'll get the ECU back together, it will be up to you to make sure the ISC does not do that again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings