The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car won't start

I have a galant vr4 and it has been having problems were the car won't start or will die while driving. It would start back up when ever it wants. But now the car will not start at all. I'm pretty sure the problem is the MPI relay. The relay will start clicking and buzzing when the car will die. The part number on the relay is E8T07071. The relay is found under the passenger side dashboard next to the ECU. Here is a pic.

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

Some people have suggested the ecu. I have 4 ecu's right not and I have tried a motoguys rebuilt ecu and it still would not start. I also have 3 MPI relays and that hasn't worked.

I did a check on the CAS wiring and I'm not getting any voltage to the plug. Also I noticed when I turn the key to the on position the check engine light does not come on at all.

I need to get this car running already. Any help would be appreciated. I did a general check on the wiring by the ecu and everything looks ok (no cut or damaged wires). Next I think I will open up the wiring some by the CAS plug and look for anything that might be bad.

GVR4_1057

But can you try your ECU in another car to completely verify that it is ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I would like too. That's why I bought a motoguys ecu. Just to make sure I didn't have 4 bad ecu's. I don't know know one with a 1G or vr4 in the LA area. I've tried the local boards and have gotten nothing.

ktmrider

Buzzing MPI is "usually" the ECU or low voltage.
Like mentioned I would install your other ECU's into another 1g AWD and see what happens.
If the alternator is shot the car will run for awhile until the battery voltage drops below 12v. Once that happens all kinds of electrical snafus will happen ( buzzing MPI, door locks open/close, stalling, idle surge, etc ).
My alt died on a road trip recently but the battery light never came on ( the ABS and fuel lights did tho ). Very lucky to make it to the next town and replace it.

Have you checked the MFI fuse under the hood? There's always a chance that one of your bad ECU's could have blown the fuse. The fact that the CE never lights is not a good sign. Either the ECU is bad or not getting power.

Alternator is new. I have checked the MPI fuse and it is good. I need to make friends with some one with a 1G. But what are the chances that I would get 5 bad ecus. I just sent back the motoguys ecu and they said they will test it when they get it back, so we'll see what happens there. Thanks for the help.

ktmrider

New OEM or new parts store on the alt? Lots of bad rebuilt ones from the part stores anymore.
Check the battery voltage as she sits, should be 12.5V or higher.

Well, that's the problem with buying a "refurbished" ECU. That usually means the ECU had issues, usually bad cap leakage, so it stopped working, and got traded in as a bad core for another ECU. That's why I've stopped dealing in "refurbished" 1990-93 ECU's, just too many of them come back later for problems related to all the acid on the board.

Quoting 1FAST2G:
I just sent back the motoguys ecu and they said they will test it when they get it back, so we'll see what happens there.

Quoting ktmrider:
New OEM or new parts store on the alt? Lots of bad rebuilt ones from the part stores anymore.
Check the battery voltage as she sits, should be 12.5V or higher.

New Parts store alternator. Battery voltage is good. Cranks over like a champ.

ade

anyone know what the problem was.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
This thread is like 4 years old ?
Most posters are now unregistered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts