The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Respraying Undercoat and Rear Subframe...how i did it. edited:

turbophein

i want to completely redo the undercarriage of the car. i just pulled out the subframe. i searched but found nothing. any upgrades, what parts should be replaced while i'm in there. i am going to POR-15 the entire frame assembly.

i think i seen aluminum bushings at one time but can't find anything.

Thanks

Last edited:

curtis

Yell at Boostx he has some poly bushings in stock

ade

boostx

turbophein

thanks everyone. i am going to do a full undercoat while im under it also.

curtis

Also check those upper arms very well for cracks the one lap guys had one of those go fubar while traveling through Kentucky during the first one lap trek

Vr4junkie

Quoting turbophein:
thanks everyone. i am going to do a full undercoat while im under it also.

Good luck with the under coat getting the grime and drit off its a PITA I used oven cleaner and degreaser but I got it done.
What kind of undercoat you planning on using?

turbophein

i bought 5 qts of 3m oem undercoat, i bought the spray gun to apply it also. been degreasing and powerwashing daily until it comes in. more and more comes off...

Vr4junkie

couple of tips not sure if you ever done this before but long sleeves and a ski mask would help out if your ganna be under the car since this stuff is like tar and some gas and towels just incase you get over spray on other cars.

turbophein

well i have finished the rear 70% of the car, the front was prepped today. i think it came out great. the driveshaft looks awesome with the POR15 paint. after it was all installed all the leftover brackets,nuts and bolts were hit with rustoleum. Undercoat looks great the car look amazing underneath, just like the body and paint now! Having a sign business paid off for masking materials. i used transfer tape an left over sign board, worked great

Last edited:

bobdole

Great work. Looks really good.

desant78

Wow! Great job! Please feel free to give tips since you done.this once!

turbophein

tips: buy a cheap paint suit and lots of rubber gloves!!

get down and dirty, scrub and powerwash the crap out of it several times. spraying the undercoat was easy just follow the psi requirements for the gun and undercoat.

KiNgMaRtY

Wow. It came out great! Did you sand off or polish the rust or did you just paint over the rust with the POR 15?

turbophein

we knocked down most with a wire wheel, then prepped and painted. but i have absolutely painted right on top of rust after knocking off the loose stuff. i've used this on every truck i have had in the last 5 years. (Paint Over Rust-15) i love it. its durable, almost like powder coat if prepped correctly.

Gizmovr4

Nice looking - rust free car in North East!! Nice job on the underside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned