The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

jdm gvr4 Cyclone intake manifold or stock us-spec intake manifold?

nickbuilt

Which flows better? what Are the gains for changing to a jdm gvr4 cyclone intake manifold over the stock us-spec intake manifold?

-Nick

Last edited:

Diego

^ this is a great question, I have 2 usdm gvr4 intake mani*s, and 1 jdm cyclone mani.

While I see that every intake port actually has seperate runners(ie, each intake port has 2 plenums running on each port, I can see more of a precise intake reading and flow with the jdm, over the single plenum design on usdm)

My 2 cents, no expert but this is what I see visually with them in front of me...

Edit, oh and its easier to unbolt also as it has more of a roomy design, usdm is crammed like a cupcake in a fat chicks palm....

Last edited:

Brunoboy

Something about the cyclone is better for low end, but i know that the butterfly valve needs to be activated somehow which i think someone on tuners used a wastegate actuator to open up at 8 psi of boost.
-shane

belize1334

The clyclone flows about 1% less at high rpms and picks up about 40ft-lb from 2k to 3.5k where it helps the turbo spool earlier.

Here's a dyno comparison that I did a while back. Disregard the titles for each pull... Both were at 17psi across the board. You can clearly see the benefits of the cyclone manifold over the 2k - 4k range.

ktmrider

"Dual Plane" or "Dual Runner" mani's have been around for years ( my years too LOL ).

Old skool folks ran them when sporting high lift/duration cams. Smaller port volume = higher velocity intake charge, just like the flow characteristics of a small vs large diameter exhaust.

DP gives the higher flow at low(er) engine speeds but does not cause restrictions up top once you open up the secondary ports.

Good stuff IMO.

GVR4_1057

I have been driving around on a dual runner manifold for the past couple weeks. It is a noticeable difference, more torque off boost and faster spool.

Brunoboy

what are you using to open the butterfly?

belize1334

I have a keydiver chip which is programmed to activate the fuel pressure solenoid at 4100rpm. This diverts vacuum away from the actuator which then opens the runners. A small vacuum canister with a built in check-valve ensures that vacuum is maintained below 4100rpm even under boost so that the runners don't open prematurely. The same thing could easily be accomplished using a $40 rpm switch from summitracing.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Cyclone is great for drivability especially with as low of compression as our engines have

you MUST have a manner to control the butterflies in the runners though.

nickbuilt

someone should do a how-to on installing the cylone manifold and getting the butterflys to work!

-nick

belize1334

I'm not sure it's really worth the effort given how simple it is.

1) Install cyclone manifold

2) Get keydiver chip to activate manifold off of either the fps or purge solenoid

3) Run a vacuum line from the manifold to a vacuum cannister check-valve

4) Run a vacuum line from the cannister to the solenoid

5) Run a vacuum line from the solenoid to the actuator

6) Double check that you have the right ports on the solenoid going to the right places... Below 4100 the solenoid should pass pressure from the cannister to the actuator. Above 4100 the actuator should vent to atmosphere.

That's it... good to go!

Last edited:

prove_it

Link #1 Good how to write up
click DSM Tuners guide
Link #2 Good board discussion on the function of the Cyclone
click Board Discussion

If that's not enough, try the search function. There are multiple threads on this subject and all of this has been discussed.

My two cents is that if your driving a street driven daily driver the cyclone is one of the best mods to be made. It helps tremendously and makes it easier to get into traffic without getting into boost. Plus you get a nice little kick at the activation point. I love my cyclone and with 8.5:1 compression it makes it even sweeter. A keydiver chip is the way to go as far as activating it. It's cleaner and you can have him "unlock" some more power while your at it.

**not sure why the links aren't working right, tried to fix but you'll have to copy and paste**

Last edited by a moderator:

IncorpoRatedX

anyone have the vacuum and wiring diagram for a stock JDM galant?? i'd like to go through mine.

i know the Cyclone mani is good for low end but i think the 1G DSM has better flow so you actually gain some HP even though you lose on the bottom end.
..... as far as i know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

beaner

It flows nearly exactly the same at higher RPMs, so I don't really understand what you're saying.

H05TYL

It will feel faster as far as the butt dyno is concerned because there is less down low the top end feels stronger by comparison.

prove_it

Well said.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned