The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECMlink plus Cyclone

My guess is that it is because of your 8.5:1 compression. The 2G maps are much more retarded than only 3 degrees from the 1G maps in the mid-rpm's during spoolup. Are you running DSMLink v2 or v3?

Hertz

Staff member
How does the JDM ECU (or Keydiver mod) operate the butterflies? Solenoid to vac canister? When is it applying vacuum? Low revs?

Vacuum is applied to the Cyclone diaphragm to keep the secondaries CLOSED. That part doesn't change. The only thing different between the way I activate it and the JDM ECU activates it is the solenoid operation is reversed. I energize the solenoid at 4100 rpm, which causes the FPR solenoid to dump the vacuum in the diaphragm out to atmosphere, opening the secondaries. The JDM ECU energizes the solenoid UNTIL ~4500 rpm, but has the same result.

prove_it

Quoting keydiver:
My guess is that it is because of your 8.5:1 compression. The 2G maps are much more retarded than only 3 degrees from the 1G maps in the mid-rpm's during spoolup. Are you running DSMLink v2 or v3?

Running V3 with 2G maps thats why I only used 3 degrees, I didn't want EGT's to soar. Also running a 3" GM maf that is maf comped in V3. Changed plugs several times, NGK BPR7ES gapped at .029" and am using a wideband with street tuned fuel ratio holding 11.0 across the rpm range.

Every time the butterflies open, shows knock pulls timing and then it smooths out. If I leave the butterflies open all the time there's no issue.

belize1334

I noticed that mine used to get two counts of knock right when the butterflies opened. I never disconnected them to be sure but it was consistent with the rpm range and it was the only knock I saw. I decided that it was either the sensor misinterpreting the sound of the butterfly valves slapping or it had something to do with a momentary disturbance in the airflow reading do to the sudden availability of the extra runners. Either way, it was only 2 counts and didn't affect timing so I was never concerned. This was on my OEM long-block with a keydiver 92 octane timing curve.

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
Quoting keydiver:
I only used 3 degrees, I didn't want EGT's to soar.

I might be missing something here but more advance = less EGT.

John

prove_it

I worded it wrong, earlier I mentioned that I had link set up to use the FPS for the butterflies and I set it up to pull 3 degrees when they opened. I just worded it wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned