The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

To clock or Not to clock

Diego

So happened upon a SBR 50 trim with 10 miles and mitsu flanged and well I think I needs to be clocked to work with my i/c pipes.

Who here has had to clock the 50 to work? Who didnt .

TIA

Diego

Diego

This isn't a 20G though, and I have decided that my build isn't going to go that way so I might just sell it, look in the for sale section as its going up for sell when I get to a computer to upload pics.

its a TO4E slowboy 50 trim with only 10 miles of use.

TylerAdamson

The turbo is a down firing turbo and unless your piping is set-up for that style turbo then yes you will have to clock it. The other option is to re-do your hot side pipe to accommodate such a turbo.

Diego

Figured that much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, I.guess what I'm asking is if anyone has clocked the 50, and if so degree of difficulty I guess what really is involved with clocking. Other then just rotating the assembly?

TylerAdamson

Just un-bolt the compressor cover, turn it to where you need it and then re-tighten all bolts that you loosened. Not a real difficult thing to do. I've had to clock almost every turbo I've ever installed aside from the 14b/16g variants.

Diego

turbo is out of the car... and if its just looseing the bolts thats simple. i dont need to do anything with the colar ring do i?

TylerAdamson

Yes, just loosen all of the bolts that hold the compressor cover on, knock it loose, and then turn it. Once you've got it where you want it make sure the cover is seated properly and tighten the bolts back down.

belize1334

Some turbos have a locating dowel between the compressor cover and the center section. If you find one just pull it out or grind it flush. It's meant to keep you from installing in the wrong position (accidental clocking) but it won't hurt anything to remove it. You should be aware, however, that if it's internally gated and you clock it then your waste-gate actuator will also need to be moved or it won't line up correctly.

Last edited:

Diego

ok well i have it clocked now i have this mess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

its not the right length. quick solution?

any help? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Internal wastegate actuators makes clocking compressor housings rather difficult. Any turbo I've ever clocked has used an external wastegate, which allows the compressor to be clocked regardless of the wastegate actuator. You may need to fab up a new bracket.

Diego

Wop, does the wastegate arm go up and down as it does have a shaft body and bolt set-up.

JNR

Yeah, you're gonna need a 'Z' type of arm...it pushes/pulls on that 'flapper arm' (on the exhaust housing)...Just be sure to keep it rigid, or it's not gonna push & pull right [

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Or you could try unclocking the wastegate actuator and see if that gets you closer.

belize1334

See if you can unbolt the actuator from the housing. Then see if there is another possible orientation at which it can be bolted up again. You might have to adjust your clocking a little but if the actuator bolts up in a couple of different places around the housing then you could choose the one that gets you closest to the desired clock position.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned