The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery Fuse or Circuit Breaker with Battery Relocation

AnotherNewb

So here is the skinny. I have an Optima Red Top in the trunk and I would like to fuse it should something unfortunate should happen with the cable. My problem, however, is that I can figure out what size fuse or breaker to use. All that I have found on the subject is an install kit from STM link , but I did manage to find the fuses in their kit cheap. link Now logic tells me to use a fuse or breaker equal to or higher than the cranking amps of the battery, but I doubt that the starter pulls that kind of amps on stock compression.

My question is: What size breaker would I want to use and how are STM's dual breakers wired?

Thanks

Nabeel

I am using 100A fuse. And no problem so far. don't use more than 150A fuse or breaker.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Fuses and circuit breakers are sized to protect the wire.

They are meant to open before the wire is damaged by excessive current.

What size wire did you run out to the engine compartment?

That information will ensure you recieve accurate advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AnotherNewb

I am using this kit here link its 2ga. BTW the battery box is total crap, didn't fit anywhere in the trunk, was way too big for the red top. In the end I used the factory tray and the hold downs from the kit.

toybreaker

iconoclast
You would be fine with a 150amp breaker.

You can find them locally at any good car stereo shop.

I like the style with a push to test/manual button.

This allows you to open the breaker manually when you want to perform maintainance that requires the battery to be disconnected.

I've used phoenix gold products for years will great success, but I'm sure there's other out there that will do the job just fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that the breaker will only protect what is in front of it in a circuit. Anything behind it shorted to ground will still be a problem.

I mention this because you said you're not using a battery box.

Anything loose in the trunk can touch the positive terminal, and you're going to get a light show.

I know this from experience... I once welded a two iron to my yellow top blazing down a dirt road on my way to the golf course.

Got my attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/runrofl.gif

At the very least, you should install some protective covers over the terminals.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Definatly going with a resetable breaker. I know I need terminal covers, they are on my list of things to do, along with a breaker. Appreciate the help. BTW I made sure my title was descriptive enough to come up in a search... JIC someone else was wondering down the road...

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting toybreaker:

Anything loose in the trunk can touch the positive terminal, and you're going to get a light show.

I know this from experience... I once welded a two iron to my yellow top blazing down a dirt road on my way to the golf course.

Got my attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/runrofl.gif

Funniest thing I've heard all day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
-shamus

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned