The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need electircal info, help. Main Battery breaker.

broxma

Car is missing the cover on the 4 fuse panel at the positive terminal and all I know is that one of those wires is causing a 5 volt drop when I hook it up. Since I don't have the cover, I have no clue what those go to. Anyone have a picture of that cover they could post?

On a second note, let me lay out a scenario. The battery as it sits shows about 11.9 volts. When I attach the terminals, the reading across the battery is less than 8, without the key on. Clearly this is a problem. Again, I have isolated it to one of the four fuses off the battery terminal, specifically, one of the two inside fuses. I know this because I pulled the two outside fuses and still had 8 volts. In addition to not having the cover, I have now entirely destroyed the terminal in a fit of rage witnessed by Steve(524) who I am sure was not expecting it. Regardless, I know some of the DSM's only have 3 fuses there which tells me one of those must be for some useless option function. Does anyone know which is missing between the two(3 and 4 fuse) and has anyone switched to the 3 fuse block from the 4 fuse block?

Thanks

/brox

toybreaker

iconoclast
Disconnect your radiator fan motor, and try again.

If that doesn't do it, disconnect and isolate your alternator charge wire at the alternator, (the big, single wire) and try that.

You can also just remove the individual wires at the terminal block with a ten mm and slide them out of the fuse block one at a time. Recheck after removing each wire, and when the voltage drop/draw goes away, you have the circuit that needs to be looked into further.

I would suggest that you disconnect your ground at the battery when actually removing the wires and then reconnect it after the wires are isolated, so you don't in-advertantly pop a fuse.

The additional fuse is for the abs system.

Last edited:

broxma

The fan is wired in separately on a switch. The terminal block is not in one piece anymore. My fits of rage involve throwing things, breaking things, tires through walls etc. I have a very large fuse but once it is blown, it's on. Like retard monkey strength anger, I break things.

If the additional fuse is for the ABS I'll have to grab a 3 fuse block from the junkyard. I still need the schematic so I can see which is which however, but thanks for the reply.

/brox

toybreaker

iconoclast
Damn dude, sounds like you went all Mcgilla the Gorilla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hulk.gif

... you need to learn to walk away when sh*t's pissing you off ...

I would suggest that you just use the proccess of elimination, calmly and logically.

Just pull the wires, one at a time, out of the tortured remains of the fuse block, and at some point the battery voltage will recover.

You say you have the radiator fans wired thru a switch.

Is there a relay in that circuit?

Them fan motors are greedy sum bitches when it comes to current draw, and it's not uncommon to melt switches and wires an sh*t in systems that were wired straight thru a switch with no relay.

If there is a relay, pull it and watch to see if your voltage drop dissapears.

The radiator fan circuit is one of the main suspects when you have a problem like you are describing.

Also, be sure to completely eliminate the alternator as a cause. A bad diode or regulator can do some crazy sh*t, so be sure to check it out thoroughly.

Another thing to check are the seatbelt mechanisms. Those silly things can jam in the almost open or home position, and then just sit there and spin and spin, drawing the battery down.

It goes without saying that the battery is going to need some love.

If it's been living down around ten volts or less for any long period of time, one of the cells can go bad internally and then the voltages can get all funky and add to the confusion.

Just make sure it's fully charged before, during, and after you troubleshoot this problem to minimise the impact on the electrical system as a whole, ( and the alternator in particular )

wiring diagrams and the like can be found in the library section

Good luck...

broxma

That was me walking away. When I stick around is when things go through walls.

I appreciate all the response time you put into that, but I'm actually done diagnosing this. I know where the problem is. I just can't figure out anything further, because I don't have that cover for the fuse box. I can unravel the entire wire loom and figure it out, but I figured I'd just ask here for a picture of it. I know exactly which fuse and wire off the box it is, but I don't know where it goes. So, I just need to know what it says on that cover really.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned