The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock knock

Gabor

I haven't played under the hood in ages. Seriously I used to work on other peoples cars on a regular bases, but gave it up for a better life, less headache, drama and less stupid kids to deal with.
My car have been put back to stock except the exhaust and intake.

Anyway. The other day my started knocking like I have a collapsed lifter or something.
I check my oil lever and there is nothing on the stick. WTF? Oil light never came on.
I was close to the 3000 mile oil change so I pull into Valvoline and have it changed.
Knocking is still there at idle but not when drive it. At least I can't hear it at that time.
Car dies when coming to a stop.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
I can't help with what is wrong, but I lost a ton of oil with no light, only to find that my oil sensor was not hooked up, may want to check that. Good luck.
-shamus

turbowop

Waiting for the oil light to come on is not the way to check your oil. At that point, it's too late. Turbo Mitsus need to have the dipstick checked at least every 1k miles, IMO.

How much oil came out of the pan when the oil got changed?

mooserage

Staff member
Yeah i agree, I blew an oil filter housing open and my point was that if he had a bad leak it wouldn't come on, and could be really bad if it went unnoticed. I saw my leak immediately and shut it off. But, I agree with mark, I check my oil a lot, probably less than 1k miles between checks and I'm surprised you could lose that much in such a short time...
-shamus

Brianawd

The oil light is pointless. It is triggered to come on at 3psi. At that point you have already wiped you bearing. Your best bet is to pull the pan and and check on of the upper rod bearing and a lower main

Gabor

Yeah I fucked up by not checking the oil level more often.
So you guys thing it's the rod bearing that knocks like that? The knocking wouldn't go away if I rev it though if it was the rod bearing.
The noise appears to be coming from the head.

Barnes

When my buddy's 2g killed a rod bearing, it sounded like it was coming from the head. Not saying that is your problem, but it is a possibility.

Gabor

I took the rod bearings out and they don't look as bad as this would have caused the knocking. Or does it?
The surface does feel like a very fine sandpaper though.

Gabor

OK so the new rod bearings are in and the engine still knocks the same way as it did before. WTF?
Take a listen and see if you can figure out what the problem is.
click

Muskrat

Go to harbor freight and grab mechanic's stethoscope and see if you can isolate where it's coming from.

I'll actually be doing this myself today.

Barnes

Now I feel bad for even mentioning the bearings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rausch

^ Those bearings are chewed.

Gabor

I used to have one of those stethoscopes and found it to be useless.
Let me know how it works for you.

Barnes

Quoting Rausch:
^ Those bearings are chewed.

Yeah, you do have a point. Reminds me of when 1051 had a flywheel bolt back out. Mark and co thought it was a rod bearing. Take the bearings out, they are fine, but well worn. So not really a bad thing since they tossed some fresh ones in.

Muskrat

I've had good luck using them at work. It's all about picking up subtle differences. You need to train your ear a bit, and listen all around the engine.

Gabor

Quoting Specter:
Quoting turbowop:
How much oil came out of the pan when the oil got changed?

Not real sure because I took it to an instant oil change place.

Let's assume I shifted once from third to second instead of forth. Does this sound like a bent valve at all or it's still a bearing noise?

mooserage

Staff member
I know this sounds really stupid, but just to make sure, because this sounds exactly like when my power steering ran out of fluid. Rev it up and it goes away... Let it idle and its noisy as hell... Dunno, just an idea, and hope for you that it is something stupid like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck Gabor.
-shamus

Last edited:

Specter

Could be a pulley bearing too.. You are getting good oil at the head right? Did u opened the oil cap when engine is idling and took a peak?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned