The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which is better a 2g MAF or GM MAS?

Hey everybody, I am looking for opinions on which would be better for my car. I want to open up the airflow and was looking at either doing a 2g or a GM mass air sensor with the translator. My car has a big 16g, 650 injectors, ets fmic, and a apexi neo afc. I am new to this idea of changing out the air sensors and just want some idea on which would be better and why? By the way I am not looking to upgrade the engine much past what I have now. Thanks.

ktmrider

Personally I would use the EVO MAF. The round outlet mounts direct to the stock GVR4 tube and you can get the plug adaptor easily. Then get a chip from Keydiver.
Simple, plug n play, no tuning required, and will support way more HP than you are currently setup for.

gvr4ever

Or a 3G V6 air meter. I'd do a 3G or EVO. 2G is so yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lonewolf64

You don't have to worry about overflowing the 2g MAS on a 16g basically no matter what you do. If you don't care about being a ricer and venting a BOV to the atmosphere that is definitely the easier better way to go. Put on the 2g MAS, and then get keydiver to make you a chip for your MAS/injector size with all the toys that you want as well.

Cheers.

The 2G MAS is good for at least 425 wheel HP, the 3G/EVO MAS is good to probably close to 500. In my experience, you will get a more solid, reliable tune with a factory MAS. Many users of the MAFT report their tune changes with the weather, or they lack the skills to get it tuned in properly, so they go back to a factory MAS.
The good #482 3G MAS is the same 3 1/8" round diameter as the factory 1G MAS, has much less pressure drop, and gives you a known, factory calibrated tune.
click

4thStroke

I know of local guys having issues with the MAFT's consistancy. I really didnt even consider it when my build came around. A lot of guys get it to work just fine, but the 2g setup is tried and true and people rarely have issues with it.

I made 430whp with the 2g MAF and it was fine, pushing it, but it hasnt been over ran yet. We'll see how it likes the 3076R HTA and on E85 if speed density isnt released by the time I get around to E85 on that setup.

Telecaster

I'd go with the 2g/evo mas for your setup. To make it easier, only go with gm maf with v3 dsmlink. When i made the transition from translator to v3 dsmlink native support, I found that the maft was way out of calibration.

Hertz

Staff member
How do you calibrate the GM MAF? Adjust for it with something like the DSMLink? How does it know the sensor is out of calibration?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned