The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g/3g/GM or SD for my setup?

Andy_S

Everyone of these options has been covered, so I know the advantages and disadvantages of each. I have looked at a lot of posts and have a pretty good idea of what I need, but I am wondering whats your opinion. I tune with an ostrich and then burn chips, so I can set up each of these fairly well. I currently have a 2g mas, a 3g 501, and a gm setup. Now that its time to make my UICP and intake, I have to make some decisions. I am also using a tial BOV that I can't recirculate. He are my thoughts and I'd like to here what you think?

1) 2g mas - I don't think it will be enough. I have a scm6152e, and I plan on utilizing most of it. Probably fall within 400 - 500 HP. The fuel will be there along with meth. I also don't like the odd shape. I am pretty much ruling this one out.

2) 3g 501 - This one already has the horn removed. How easy are these to tune? I like the fact that it is round and makes the intake fabrication much easier. I'll still have problems venting though.

3) GM MAFT - This will be more than enough for my goals. I will be running it zeroed out and tuning through the ecu. If I go this route, my UICP is going to be built around it so changing my mind later on would be a ton of rework. Driveability is important, especially with Wisconsin temperature changes. I can also vent the TIAL.

4) DSMAP speed density - How is this? I have not spent time around cars running it so I have the least hands on experience with it compared to the options listed above. I can source the parts easily, but is it worth it? Speed density is appealing to me, but it sounds like quite a process to get it close as far as tuning. If anyone has any tuning experience with DSMAP or runs it in their car, please chime in. I already tune with an ostrich.

My thoughts are with the GM or 3g maf. I am probably leaning towards the GM because I already have it and I wouldn't have to worry about over running it. This isn't going to be a daily driver, but it will be driven around more than most cars. If there is anything I missed or you feel I should know, please mention it.

Thanks Galantvr4.org.

What is your HP goal? If you are going to vent, and you already use the Ostrich, I would just use the DSMAP speed density chip.

Andy_S

HP goal is probably going to fall in the 400 - 500 range on a scm6152e. I am going to vent because I like my Tial too much and I am using an ostrich 1.0. I am still reading up on the DSmap site but would like to know if anyone here uses it? How much more difficult is it tuning with VE tables? Only experience I have with MAP is in a 3rd gen camaro my friend runs. It took him a while to get everything setup.

I know several folks around here making 460+ awhp on a dynodynamics that also trap over 132 mph that are still running 2g mafs.

Screw chasing dumb boost leaks, and installing big ugly GM MAFS.

SD FTW.

I am a beta tester for ds-map, and it rocks. Not enough good things to say about it!

+1 for DS-MAP I had it on my talon and loved it completely. Only reason I would say shy away from it is if you were wanting to run more then 30 psi, but I think the payware version will fix that. I mean think about it you can run pretty much whatever intake you want, you don't have to design your intercooler piping around it, you can monitor your wideband o2 through the ECU. You can tune your part throttle response as well as your top end response. I really do love it though and like already mentioned. If you blow a hole in a coupler at the track or something you can still drive the car home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts