The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

water lines from vr4 thermo housing

hey guys just trying to re run my water lines from my thermo housing

with the 4g63 vr4 thermo housings is one of the 4 outlets a bypass back to the water pump when the thermostat is closed?
geting block off up when the thermostat opens?

theres 4 water lines in total

these two here(only pic i could find)
thermostatmn6.jpg

and 2 in similar spots on the other side (bottom one on other side is largest)

GVR4_1057

On the front one is the turbo water line return and the other one is the water line from the oil cooler.On the back the bigger line is heater and the smaller one goes to the throttlebody.

cheers mate

you dont know if any of them are open at when the thermo is closed but close up when it opens?
i know alot of other cars have a water bypass like this to allow water to flow around the block when it is cold

at the moment i have the heater water line routed directly back into the bypass pipe that runs into my water pump and im just pumping a heap of hot water back into the engine without it going through the rad

H05TYL

Being from a jdm galant it won't have a waterline to the oil cooler.

H05TYL

Okay I just checked and neither of my jdm vr4's have the lower pipe on the front (top one goes to the turbo).

CarRacer

All of the fittings on the bottom of the housing are below the thermostat. They should always be open. The thermostat only controls the hose for the radiator.

in my case i have all for of these water lines blocked from the thermo
ive just blocked off the heater one as my core was leaking
i have an aftermarket turbo and throttlebody so those lines arent use and the forth one is blocked

so how does the water flow around until the thermostat opens?
the pressure cant just build up against the thermostat

Dialcaliper

Underneath the water pump, the block has a second small hole on the firewall side that allows a little bit of water back into the pump - when the thermostat is open, this helps circulate coolant to that side of the cylinder sleeves before it goes out to the radiator.

When the thermostat is closed, it causes coolant to just recycle around the block, in addition to the flow through the heater core, throttle body and the oil/water cooler. The pancake cooler also warms the oil after startup to reach operating temperature more quickly, especially in cold areas.

Just keep in mind the fact that all of the "additional" features of the cooling system (TB, Heater core, Turbo, Oil cooler) all use hot water (at engine operating temperature) that has already passed through the block, not the water that just came out of the cold side of the radiator. The pump takes water in from the inlet pipe, including the hot water exiting the turbo and the oil cooler, and forces it through the block to the thermostat housing, where it gets either distributed or sent to the radiator.

Oil/water cooling is a good idea in theory, especially for engine efficiency reasons, it just has the problem in our case that it is failure prone, and cooling capability is limited since it uses water that has already been through the block. It's not really just a "cooler", its job is simply to keep the oil at the same operating temperature as the engine coolant.

Also going to a separate air/oil cooler also frees up a decent amount of cooling capability of the radiator under heavy loads. If you look at some newer cars on the market, even NA ones, you'll see oil heat exchangers that spend more time keeping the oil warm than cooling it down to reduce friction in the engine. It's just like air-to-air vs air-to-water intercoolers - they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

Quote:
Underneath the water pump, the block has a second small hole on the firewall side that allows a little bit of water back into the pump - when the thermostat is open, this helps circulate coolant to that side of the cylinder sleeves before it goes out to the radiator.

When the thermostat is closed, it causes coolant to just recycle around the block, in addition to the flow through the heater core, throttle body and the oil/water cooler. The pancake cooler also warms the oil after startup to reach operating temperature more quickly, especially in cold areas

cheers man this is the info i was looking for
after looking at a few picks of blocks i can see the other hole to the right
i shouldnt have a problem blocking everything at the thermostat off then
cheers

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned