The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo water line

Gtpdz

Having some problem trying to figure out the water pipe B set up.

The one pipe here:
img.php

Q1: Is this section of water pipe a hard line or a rubber line? Mine seems to be a rubber line that runs all the way up to the lower thermostat housing.

img.php

Q2: In the above pic where should the pipe B connect to on the engine side?

Thanks!

89Mirageman

It should be a hard metal line and it connects to the huge water pipe that snaps into the water pump that runs underneath the turbo/exhaust manifold.

Gtpdz

Just to clearify, mine has a Garret GT30 set up, does it have different water in/out holes on the housing compared to the stock one? GVR4 uses hot coolant from the thermostat to cool the turbo right?

89Mirageman

I don't know for sure but I doubt the garrett turbo uses the same setup. That's probably why somebody modified that line with a rubber hose. Yes, the turbo uses hot coolant to cool it off. Never understood that one myself. I know many people block the ports and don't even bother to run the coolant lines to the turbo, how safe that is I don't know.

ghostinthevr4

^ Says it best right here, or you could just start a turbo upgrade early and buy something bigger than that GT30 cause you'll need to if you run it with no water lines.

Gtpdz

Thanks for the feedbacks, figured out how these lines goes on the turbo, now move on to the leak... Just curious do you have to re torque the water line banjo bolt? That spot has been leaky even after replace the bolt and crush washer, I'm kinda suspect it's the hose connection with the eye bolt now lol.

tektic

If the leak protists after installing new copper o-rings, you could try to use a sanding block to true and smooth the steel surface.

prove_it

Just use a regular piece of coolant rated hose. Seriously. Braided won't do jack poo except wear the rubber out faster do to dirt being trapped in the weaves.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned