The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No oil pressure

I rebuilt the bottom-end on a 6bolt swapped 2G for a friend (new rings and bearings) and the car isn't reading oil pressure.

1:Factory gauge is within spec (as resistance is applied the gauge needle climbed)

2:Original sending unit displaied 0.5v of resistance and I swapped a known good sending unit to no avail

3:Oil pumped was primed w/ a drill before inictial startup.

4:This problem is new to the rebuild

I understand this is a GALANT forum... I find this community to be more knowegable then the other I am on and I believe I will recieve more useful info here in a quicker time.

Thank you in advanced
Kryger

Terry Posten

Did you see oil squirt out of the cam bearing oilers on the head when you primed the pump?

It can take a long time of spinning the pump to get oil all the way primed.

It can take 20 minutes with a drill or using the starter.

Keep at the priming, DON'T start it. Pull the MPI relay and the plugs and spin the motor over with no load on the crank.

It may take quite a while.

I'm gonna break down the timing side of the motor 2morrow and run the drill on it again. Thank you

boostedinaz

If you didn't put grease or vasoline in the pump gears it can be a bitch to prime.

Yeah theres a video on youtube of an Aussie from these boards just putting his car back together and he sat there and cranked it for a couple minutes with the camera on... then had to turn the camera off and came back god knows how long after and oil pressure was there...
Just thought you should know it does take a while... not sure why.

bazeng

When I built my motor, on the stands, after assembling everything, I flipped the motor so the head was towards the floor and poured oil into the oil pickup. I poured the oil in over a period of 30 minutes, slowly. I then bolted the sump up and thats it.

On initially start up, oil pressure wasn't an issue.

Anybody use this technique before?

turbowop

Last time I had the oil pump apart and put it back together I filled it with Lubriplate assembly lube. I also filled the oil pickup with it. I cranked the motor over using the starter with the MPI fuse pulled and it only took about two rounds of cranking for 10secs to prime.

Thats an interesting idea... I think I can fab up a ramp for people wanting to do this with an in car rebuild... Just have to figure out how to hang it... Hmmm...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned