The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

low to no oil pressure

Specter

^My prosport gauge starts at 80psi at idle when the car is cold and ends at around 20psi on idle when the car is warmed up, balanceshaft eliminated. Though it goes to around 80psi on just around 3k rpm at wot on warmed up runs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

Prosports are piles of sh*t. Almost as bad as those Marshall junkers I bought awhile back and threw in the trash within a couple of months. I'm glad I spent coin on the Defis in 1051 as they've been flawless. I will never again purchase cheap gauges, even for my cheap cars like 503.

Last edited:

Overkill

Seizing an intake cam due to lack of oil, mechanical autometer gauge saying low to no oil pressure and oil pressure low light on in car I think are enough to say the engine has oil pressure issues. Just of matter of finding the cause now and $250 sounds high for a used head with no paperwork on it being rebuilt.

Galantvr4559

Well I didnt get the head. I am getting one tomorrow for 100. Go have my head guy go throught it. Gonna pull t case and oil pan tonight weather permitting.

vr4play

Sounds to me like you spun a balance shaft bearing out. All your oil pressure goes out the hole for the balance shaft and with no bearing there is no oil pressure. Happened to me on my daily.

turbowop

Quoting Overkill:
Seizing an intake cam due to lack of oil, mechanical autometer gauge saying low to no oil pressure and oil pressure low light on in car I think are enough to say the engine has oil pressure issues. Just of matter of finding the cause now and $250 sounds high for a used head with no paperwork on it being rebuilt.

I was replying to Specter's post. At that point, I wouldn't think it was a faulty oil pressure gauge either.

Galantvr4559

Well oil pressure problem figured out. Stub shaft from balance shaft delete dropped into the oil pan. This sucks.

Eaglesfly

Its not the first time I've heard of this. Hopefully it didn't trash your motor like it did my friend's built one. Make sure to use red loctite on that bolt when it goes back together.

Overkill

I wouldn't bother and would slap it back together with the below list of parts. Do you what helps you sleep at night, but the car is your daily driver and so time is not a luxury you have.

Front case complete with oil pump and assorted gaskets
Replacement cylinder head
Intake cam
Head gasket

vr4play

I would definitely pull the caps. If it was starved enough to lock the cams in the head I would be concerned about the bearings. It should only take 30mins to check them all.

Eaglesfly

^^^ I second this. It's definitely a morale killer when you put it all back together and something you decided to skip on breaks. You're already replacing parts, mine as well make it a complete fix.

Galantvr4559

I know I dont have the money for the bottom end if something is wrong. But checking them would give me peace of mind knowing everything is ok for sure. Gone camping. Tear down next week. Got the replacement head today and arp head studs"new". Head needs to be decked and new valve seals. I need to get new front case, oil pump, and head gasket. On top of all this I lost my father to cancer the same day all this happened.

Diego

Dude and you didn't tell me that the other day when we were on the phone... I'm sorry Bryan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

On a side note, I got a bolt through there but I need to take a thread or two off the bolt to make it taught.

SleepinGVR4

Anyone know if you can remove the oil filter housing without removing the lower timing cover? If I remember its only 4 bolts holding it on and I can see all 4.

Galantvr4559

PITA to do it that way. I tried it and I broke my lower cover. So I just pull alternator belt and lower crank pulley and outside lower case and access to the 4 bolts. All four are different sizes so remember where the bolts go.

Galantvr4559

So 559 is alive once again. Thanks for all the help guys. Especially overkill for getting it done fast so I can have my dd back. Im sick of sharing a car with my wife

Diego

YEAH!!! Now sell me your old IC for cheap budday!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned