The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Only 0,8 bar with my new HKS VPC (MBC)?

Muntermugge

I have tryed to post this in the Newbies section, but don't think i have get the right answer on my quistion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Please click here to read it: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
click

I couldn't wait longer, and have just install it, on this way(see pictures). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
But now i only can get maximum 0,8 bar.
I'm not sure, that I've done it on the right way, and not sure if I should try to put the "compressor section" line to the same line, as the line I have use to my "boost Gauge" or??
Can anybody give me a good guide/help for this?

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Do you have internal or external wastegate?

I'm thinking that the MBC diagram is trying to indicate that it is venting some of the boost, so you want it to be recirculated. An ideal spot to recirculate that boost vent would be where the old BCS solenoid used to connect to the aircan:

That way the air that has already been counted is not lost to the atmosphere.

Muntermugge

Hey Jeff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Great, that you will try to help with this.
Is this the way you mean.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
See my pictures?
I have given number of it on the instruction, and on your pictures, and hope it's way you mean

Last edited:

Yes, I am thinking that is the way they are suggesting you hook it up. Do you have the restricter they mention for in the tee?
Also, as you noted, if you are no longer using the 1G aircan with the 3G MAS you no longer have that nipple to bleed off to. Here is how I resolved that on #880/1000:

I drilled a 1/8" hole on the intake hose, and JB Welded a LONG pop-rivet into the hole.

Muntermugge

Hey Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
Thanks, I will try to do it today..
If the "restricter" is the same as the "Oriface", yes i have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
When i have done it, I give the resultat here later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Muntermugge

I give up.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
If I juse the last set-up from Jeff, it only have 0,5 bar again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So i have install my old Slowboy MBC and juse this setup(see Pix), and I have 0,9 bar..
Why I can't have more, I don't know.
Maybe it's because I have a JDM engine with cyclone or??

BUT
Have not more time to try all the set-up.
So now I can look at a pretty useless HKS VPS in my window in my office /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Better than flowers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Mogens,
The HKS boost controller appears to work by creating a controlled leak, to bleed off part of the boost pressure to the wastegate, causing it to open later. In your case, it would appear that little or no air is ever being bled off, so the wastegate is seeing the FULL boost pressure, and opening too soon. You need to find out why it is not bleeding off enough of the boost pressure. I would try disconnecting the input side from the HKS MBC and *CAREFULLY* see what your boost does. You *should* have a HUGE boost leak, which will allow the boost to go a lot higher. If it does, then I would open it up and make sure the HKS MBC is OK inside, nothing sticking or clogged that could be keeping it from bleeding off some boost. I'm not a big fan of "bleeder" type MBC's, as they *can* start opening slightly before the boost you have them set for, instead of snapping the wastegate open like your Slowboy.
The Slowboy MBC resembles the Hallman MBC I used at one time, which work fairly well. A spring simply puts pressure on a ball that keeps the wastegate from seeing ANY boost pressure until a certain point. If it opens too soon, that usually indicates a problem with the spring not putting enough pressure on the ball. I've had my spring rust and break in half years ago, which caused that problem. Again, you should pull it apart, clean it, oil it, and check for proper operation. Does that MBC have a bleed hole in the output/wastegate side, to let the boost pressure back out of the wastegate after you have boosted?

Muntermugge

Hey Jeff.
Thanks for your answer.
Don't laugh, but I think, that I maybe know, why the HKS VPC not can give me higher boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
At the bound of the HKS VPC, I can see that is written: Max 0,7 bar.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
(See pix)

But i can't understand, why my Slowboy MBC, not can give higher boost, than 0,9 bar.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Maybe it I shall clean it, and oil it, as you write?
Shall I install the Slowboy MBC, like you recommend, or shall i use it, as it is now?

Muntermugge

Thanks for help.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Muntermugge

Hello again ..
Jeff has again right . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif.

I've just cleaned my Slowboy MBC, and given it little oil, and now there is wauuuuuuuuuuuu plenty of boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

With my setup, and on a JDM RS Engine(standard 240 HP), how must boost is okay to drive with.
I've heard some says 1,2 bar?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Polish

Get a logger or something to measure knock with, that is the better way to find out. As each car is slightly different.

However I'd say 16-17 psi (Just over 1 bar) *should* be ok if you all have good fuel, if you all have poor fuel then likely less.

Muntermugge

I have driving it with about 1,1 bar, and it was great.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Very very funny to drive with..
I'm like a little baby now.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I will try to find a logger later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
But it must get enough fuel with this setup:
JDM engine/Cyclone with
650cc Injectors
Fuel pump Walbro GSS341
3G Mas
Keydiver chip stage 3 [/list]

Polish

Oh I thought you were stock, yea you should be fine.

Just make sure it's not knocking and the octane rating is as high as you can buy. What do they offer over there?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned