The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HKS VPC guys check in please

Launch

I've enjoyed my VPC/GCC and HK$ harness that allows me to plug and play it from the GVR4, into my 1G, than onto the colt for its weekend dragstrip duty

The proper way to install an iat sensor. HKS part number 91112-086100. Took 5 weeks to get this damn thing.

Why should I sift through over 480,000 items and possibly order the wrong item when I can just call one company and say here is what I need and heres the part number?

The only problem is since the vpc is ancient now no one stocks them so they are special order.

turbowop

Quote:
Why should I sift through over 480,000 items and possibly order the wrong item when I can just call one company and say here is what I need and heres the part number?

Because it wouldn't have taken five weeks to get the part? If you have the sensor in front of you, you should know exactly what adapter you need, making "searching" through their catalog pretty straightforward. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Its not a big deal, if you want to have a e-penis measuring contest then pm me rather than clutter up the tech section.

That or you can list a link directly to where one can buy this same part on mcmaster so they don't have to wait for it for 5 weeks. Like I said, I personally don't care to search for it and then have it end up being the wrong part since I'm not that great with numbers.

And FWIW, I waited 5 weeks for it because the guy at 935 draggers.com and his contact are morons who kept forgetting to pick the part up, or so that was his excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

Who's measuring e-penis size? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I was just suggesting something that may have been quicker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Eh, sorry I was in a bad mood. True it could have been quicker but I completely forgot about that site. I went straight to google and searched. How bad is that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I'd buy from both of these companies again, even if one did take 5 weeks. Could be worse, I could've been a part of the MMF group buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif So I'm happy.

Wow 3 months later....um ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I must have missed something,what is the point of this whole ordeal to fix a small boost in the hopes getting better idle quality?

I didn't know that someone was keeping time.

You must have missed the part where I am going through the car and fixing things that don't work.

BoostedAWD91

i just installed the VPC in my car and instead of spending $15 or whatever the bung is and having to wait forever for one for the IAT sensor i just made my own out of round aluminum stock. Turned Out Perfect, ill post some pics tomorrow

BoostedAWD91

any of the other vpc guys have any problems with mounting the ecu in stock location with the vpc harness extension? mine is a quite tight fit to be able to plug it in while mounted and idk if the one wire is loose in the harness but after installing im having the coolant temp signal getting cut out and then if i jiggle the wires it goes back to normal. anyone else mount their ecu in a different location?

That's why many VPC users don't use the HKS harness adapter, because of flaky connections. If you have a chip, the IAT and BARO can be locked in the code, so you don't need to worry about it, but you still have 50 other connections that can act up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nate

You still need the harness, but it's not as crucial if those little resistors IN the harness aren't doing their job, as Jeff's chip locks the IAT and baro readings.

BoostedAWD91

oh ok. any suggestion what i could do to keep the wires from being pinched/bent so tightly which is screwing up the Coolant temp signal

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting Nate:
You still need the harness.

Nope, you don't need the harness. If you leave out the harness and have the right chip its as easy as hooking up an SAFC. You'll just have to grab your power, ground, TPS signal and hard wire the VPC Hz output into the MAS signal wire that goes into your ECU. There should be some old threads from me on doing it. I didn't make a How-To but the discussion in the threads explains what to do.

John

Last edited:

Like John said, if you actually look at what the HKS VPC harness is doing, all but a few wires just go straight through. The IAT and BARO lines to the ECU have resistors tied to them, to fake a set air temperature and sealevel BARO, to keep the ECU from throwing a code. The VPC needs to see the RPM, so it taps into that ECU connection to tee off to the VPC harness. It also grabs some power from pin 24 for the ground and 102/107 for +12 volts, if I recall correctly. The only line that the harness actually cuts is the Karman Hz airflow signal, since you don't have a MAS anymore, and the VPC emulates the Karman signal.
So, the most reliable way to run the VPC is to remove that silly harness of their's, and just tap into the wires that you actually need. If you have a chip, I can lock the IAT and BARO, so you don't even need to worry about those 2 wires.
I happen to have a VPC harness right here to look at, and here is how it is connected:
PIN #102 - RED wire for +12 volts power
PIN #21 - WHITE wire for RPM
PIN #10 - GRAY wire - Karman Hz output of VPC to ECU
PIN #24 - BLACK wire for GROUND (Sensors Ground)

I think that's everything. I don't see any sign on this harness that the TPS needs to go to the VPC, but this harness is rather hacked. I also found this in the archives:
Shannon's VPC Post

atc250r

Staff member
I could be wrong Jeff. I definitely forgot that it needed the RPM signal and its been a LOOOOONNNGGGG time since I put my VPC in.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned