The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Getting Turbo rebuilt, some questions...

So my s16g blew up and I sent it off to get it turned into either an e316g or a 16g with an EVO X compressor wheel this time around. I don't want to hassle with a 20g since I am running a 190lph fuel pump and FIC 650s along with a 2.5 inch exhaust...maybe some other year.

The turbo builder suggested a downfiring turbo to eliminate the J-pipe. I already have an ETS intercooler kit with their J-pipe. I think the builder is thinking DSM since the J-pipe is different.

How would that setup work on a GVR-4 and is it worth it? I don't mind sticking with my ETS j-pipe but if I am better off without it I'd like to know.

He also mentioned the stock inlet/compressor cover with a 3 inch inlet. I can't see how that would work without relocating my battery and changing my piping.

Is that an easier feat on a DSM or something?

Thanks!

Barnes

IMO, It doesn't make enough of a difference to hassle with doing the modifications to change to a non-j pipe setup. You would have to change a lot actually for basically no advantage.

What turbo of your choices have a 3in inlet?

Thanks for your help.

Clear on the J-pipe. The inlet pipe would apply to any of those turbos e.g. s16g, e316g, 16g with Evo X wheel. Not sure how he would be doing it....but it would come down to replacing the cover I guess?

EMX5636

There is a company that makes compressor covers to replace the stock one that is 3" inlet, and regular downfire outlet. I had a downfire before, and turned it up towards the front. here's a pic of an old setup. You might just need a 2" or 2.5" aluminum 90* and a coupler or two.

Galantturboteardown1.jpg

In 2.25" inlet. click

In 3" inlet click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned