The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

You think you have rust?

G

Staff member
They really don't, simple underbody pics shed light very easily.

donkeylips

You've been looking for 2 weeks? Try 2 years! Its next to impossible. Sellers don't seem to understand that many of us only care about shell condition. And many people have lower standards than I do, so I won't find out that a car is unacceptable until I've wasted a lot of time and energy trying to talk to the seller, pleading for pics, etc.

Rear suspension and engine bay shots tell all in many cases but you really do need to see the quarter panels and such. A lot of people take pictures of the undercoated floor pan or other areas that never look rusty.

A lot of people don't know or don't pay attention to where these cars rust. There's even a local guy trying to sell the strut towers he cut out of his 1g as replacements for someone who needs them! Obviously they never rust on our cars or 1Gs, but if a 2g sees just a few seasons of salt its done for.

992gnt

Quote:
You've been looking for 2 weeks? Try 2 years! Its next to impossible.

That's encouraging. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif I've been through all of that already. What's so hard about taking pictures of something you want to sell? FFS.

SmoothCustomer

^^You live in KY? Maybe I'll sell you my shell. Although the simple fact that I also live here wouldn't really make getting my shell to you any easier.

Jesus_Negros

Welcome to the 2yr club. I've been looking for rust free for shell for that long. It's hopeless, I've moved on.

992gnt

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
^^You live in KY? Maybe I'll sell you my shell. Although the simple fact that I also live here wouldn't really make getting my shell to you any easier.

PM me what you have, I'll come get it this weekend...

turbowop

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Welcome to the 2yr club. I've been looking for rust free for shell for that long. It's hopeless, I've moved on.

I've seen them for sale around the PNW. It's a ways to go for a 22 year old car, but it'll be rust free.

Jesus_Negros

The few I've pursued on the west coast have been snatched up rather quickly or the seller doesnt want to deal with shipping a roller.

Jesus_Negros

I've moved on. Working on something else. Project pending summer 2014.

strokin4dr

I pick up one last summer off this board that is completely rust free. It had been for sale since 2010 but had a very vague description and crappy pics.

I made sure to inspect it as thoroughly as possible when I went to check it out. Interior was a bit dirty and stale from sitting, but the leather was soft and I made sure to check the lower fender area for rust as well as removing the fuel sending unit. Both areas looked brand new so I knew it was a good platform for a project car for me.

Point of the story is dont give up on finding one. Clean, rust free cars are still out there, and sometimes just a few pages back in the for sale section here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jesus_Negros

I have a shell lined up if I still want it. It isnt rust free but I can fix the rust it has for very cheap and it comes with a lot of work I was already going to do already done. But, I have another project planned for next summer and ya'll love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

donkeylips

Update on this car:

It will be scrapped this spring. The water authority did a repair that resulted in a very large dip in the road. It was going uphill and I couldn't see it.
Basically, the gas tank was ripped off the car. The filler hose was holding the whole thing up, but ripped and an entire tank full of fuel poured out. It's sitting in the driveway until it's warm enough to deal with.

G

Staff member
Quoting G:
That look's pretty bad, I guess ride that thing till the wheels fall off.

Accomplished. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned