The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Interesting competition line up at the autox this Sunday

skivittlerjimb

Pre-registered cars in my same class at the Stowe autox on Sunday:

Class 4 (SCCA B) 7 entries
# Year Make Hometown
37 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Charlotte, VT
77 1975 Chevrolet Corvette Starksboro, VT
222 1996 Acura Integra East Montpelier, VT
280 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Williston, VT
360 1981 Porsche 911 SC Bennington, VT
370 2003 Nissan 350Z Colchester, VT
951 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo Bennington, VT

Usually this class is relatively empty. Our club does a Class 1 - 5 system loosely based on SCCA stock classing as the staring points with class upgrade points assigned to performance mods that then bump you up to a higher class. The GVR-4 starts in SCCA G Stock so it's like Class 1, halfway to being bumped to Class 2. My mods put me up in Class 4 and I'm trying not to do anything to put me in Class 5 with the modded STis, supercharged Miatas, Factory Five Cobras, etc. that I'd have no chance against.

I omitted their names but there are some good drivers in the group above. The Integra is the car I'm chasing for Class 4 top spot this year, but he's a better autox driver than me, his car is pretty stripped down bare, and he has full-on autox tires while I'm running "street" tires (Bridgestone RE-11s and RE-01Rs). The 350Z and the 911 are also driven by good, aggressive drivers but I think this is their first autox in each of these cars. Interesting to see how the old girl and her old driver will stack up.

-Jim B.
280/1000

skivittlerjimb

So it turns out some crazy tire width fully stripped down 89 CRX showed up, and due to our crazy classing rules, ended up in my class. Normally this type of car would be in D-Modified if we were going by SCCA rules.

Anyway, that car got co-driven so it was actually entered in our Class twice, and took 1st and 3rd in class. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

But, my main competition, the Integra with race tires, beat me by 1.5 seconds over a ~54 sec. avg. time course. But, did beat my buddy with his 400whp 3000 GT VR-4 plus all the other cars in the class.

-Jim B.
280/1000

pachood_1953

I run with the Mod cars (scca classing), and WHEN I have competition, I have serious competition.

Otherwise I race against my co driver...which is somewhat entertaining I guess.

Good luck. Looks like some stiff, but fairly reasonable competition. Keep in mind, the fastest cars dont always have the fastest drivers. Or, have someone watching their times (assuming you have good timing equipment) and use that as a good push to go faster.

skivittlerjimb

Enough of the ugly Galant, everyone lusted after la femme tres jolie, the Matra.

Yeah, I need to concede I'm not really building the GVR4 for autox, but since I haven't really had the time or the budget this summer for track or hillclimb weekends, autox has been a very fun diversion. I'm hoping to go down to a "real" lot at Ft. Devens in MA before the season is done.

-Jim B.
280/1000

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned