The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WTB: 90 22 spline transmission

makedollarz

Doesn't need to be in working condition, really just need the case, preferably stock, or at least one that hasn't seen 500+Hp and a bunch of rebuilds.

makedollarz

I guess just a good condition stock one. Honestly I'll have to ask Jacks Trans exactly what parts i need, but I think its mainly just the least abused case I can find. They are gonna swap all the internals and appearntly the 22 spline 90 trannys had the biggest gears iirc, Ive gone through 2 different HD gearsets in 6,000 miles and sheared 3rd one time and 4th gear the other, so before we go all out dogbox, or swap to an auto, we were gonna try a 90 case that hasnt seen the abuse and rebuilds that my current 23 spline tranny has seen. I can find out specifics of the parts, but at this point any stock 22 spline tranny will work, I need to get this thing haulin ass again. These cars are such a pain sometimes but so much fun!

89Mirageman

I have a trans that I pulled from a 90 Eclipse GSX a few weeks ago at the junkyard, all stock with 146k on the clock. Spins freely and goes into all gears and the fluid looked clean when I drained it. Other than that I don't know anything else about it because I have never installed it in any of my cars. Need to get $160 for it.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

We're looking at somewhere around $130 for shipping, $8 for the plastic tub at Wal-Mart, another $5 for duct tape and $117.44 to Fedex. I estimated it at 135 lbs and 24 x 18 x 18 for the dimensions. I have shipped 4-5 trannies like this in the past with no issues. It was always around $75 from DHL but they no longer ship in the US. Let me know if you're serious and I'll get it packed up. Also not sure what an awd tranny weighs, does 135 lbs sound about right to you?

89Mirageman

We're looking at somewhere around $130 for shipping, $8 for the plastic tub at Wal-Mart, another $5 for duct tape and $117.44 to Fedex. I estimated it at 135 lbs and 24 x 18 x 18 for the dimensions. I have shipped 4-5 trannies like this in the past with no issues. It was always around $75 from DHL but they no longer ship in the US. Let me know if you're serious and I'll get it packed up. Also not sure what an awd tranny weighs, does 135 lbs sound about right to you? Paypal is [email protected] and I ask that you either gift it or cover the fees.

pauleyman

90 does not have the biggest gearsets. What are you trying to do? 90-92 3/4 are different than 93 up. 90 intermediate and 1/2 are 90 only and cannot get a double synchro without custom machining. 90 intermediate has a smaller diameter. The shift rails and shifter are all different too.

makedollarz

Quoting pauleyman:
90 does not have the biggest gearsets. What are you trying to do? 90-92 3/4 are different than 93 up. 90 intermediate and 1/2 are 90 only and cannot get a double synchro without custom machining. 90 intermediate has a smaller diameter. The shift rails and shifter are all different too.

I'm trying to keep my car running for more then 6,000 miles at a time. I've sheared the teeth of 3rd gear and 4th gear on two different occasions. So I guess 3rd went out in 6,000 miles and just 3rd was replaced, and another 6,000 miles or so 4th gear met the same fate, so 12,000 miles out of 4th. And it's a hd gearset in there. I dont baby the car, but I don't drive floor it from light to light either, so I'm just hoping I can get a tranny in there that will last me more then a couple oil changes. I don't know much about tranys or how the internals vary/work from year to year, but was told to get a 90 22 spline because they have the biggest shafts and have a bigger surface area on the gear teeth. Is this not correct?

Other option would be swap to an auto, or dogbox, neither of which I really want to do.

makedollarz

Quoting FavNumber:
Chase, you've been eating trannies up havent you!

Lol, yeah man, First was the rebuilt semi stock tranny that had a decent amount of miles, then the completely redone tranny that lost 3rd, and now 4th.

89Mirageman

Let me know if you want this one. If the shipping/tub/tape is less than $130 I will gladly refund the difference. As long as I get $160 for the trans after all is said and done I'm happy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned