The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What can it be? I already changed the Driveshaft

Illinoisinc

I changed the driveshaft a few days ago. Sound is still coming from the side of the driver. Like a thump is going. Can it be the CV joint?

prove_it

Rotate your tires first, see if the noise moves. Tires can make lots of noises.

Illinoisinc

it just doesn't sound like a tire. it sounds like a metal to metal thump.

4Grim

If the noise is resonating from the drivers side...I would throughly inspect that side. Lift the car and start with tugging the tire left and right. If there is play...most likely your wheel bearings are shot. If not..then remove the tire and start inspecting suspension components like the LCA's, strut assembly, etc etc. Obviously if there is any play then that is most likely your problem. Sometimes even though you don't feel any "play" the symptom will show its ugly head when the vehicle is only sitting on its own weight.

For example I had a intermittent metal clunk noise on my drivers side. It just so happens my lower ball joint was bad and it was more cost effective to replace the whole lower control arm with a new lower ball joint. When I removed the LCA, the big round bushing held by a C bracket completely seperated from the LCA and pretty sure was the source of the metal clunking noise. I replaced the LCA's on both sides and issue is gone.

Good luck...take your time inspecting.

prove_it

Quoting Illinoisinc:
it just doesn't sound like a tire. it sounds like a metal to metal thump.

Metal on metal wont thump.

brisvr4

Sway bar end links.

Illinoisinc

Sway bar links???

you think so?

4Grim

Yes..bad sway bar links can results in a metal clunking noise on almost any suspension movement.

Illinoisinc

Thanks I will check that out today.

Illinoisinc

I will post video of what it is doing later on today

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts