The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Strange Fluid Leak from rear, What is it?

conquesttsi

So I finally thought I had 1933 in order, but now I have a strange fluid leak coming for the above the rear diff and I don't know what it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif It's leaking down on the exhaust and burning off. I also noticed some of the fluid dripped on the passanger side driveshaft as well. I tried to trace it. Looked under the hood. Brake fluid is fine, brakes work great. Powersteering is empty and my powersteering is not working. I have both the lines on the front rac blocked. Where could this leak be coming from? I am trying to leave for Ohio in 5 days, I need to fix this before then.

1990ggsxnj

If you still have the pump on the Rear than it could still leak. Mine is doing the same thing but have yet to take it out.

Sounds like the rear pump is leaking like above. There is a DYI on removing it I think.. MAn one issue after another.. Just like me when I frist got mine.. LOL PIA EH.

conquesttsi

I thought the fluid would be empty by now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have spare dsm 3 bolt, I guess I could just swap in a pumpless rear end, in doing so I guess I will figure out how to solve the problem.

Is it a pita to swap the rear? Are there any other lines going to the back other than the standard 2 you cap at the rac?

conquesttsi

Quoting mac515:
Sounds like the rear pump is leaking like above. There is a DYI on removing it I think.. MAn one issue after another.. Just like me when I frist got mine.. LOL PIA EH.

The car is almost a classic and was always a newengland car...I kinda expected every damn hard line to be rotted...Suprisingly I have very little rust on the underside, however as I expected most of the hard lines have seen better days. I don't like 4ws, If I wanted to drive a forklift I would have got a job at home depot, so I don't mind doing the elimination and I think I will replace all other hard lines this winter to get all new ones but for now I just need to get though the rest of the season.

That being said if anyone knows of a quick fix just to get me by let me know. I'm not going to drop the pumpkin to pull the pump as in the faq, If I drop the pumpkin I will just swap it, I have plenty of shockproof to do so.

H05TYL

Quoting conquesttsi:
I thought the fluid would be empty by now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have spare dsm 3 bolt, I guess I could just swap in a pumpless rear end, in doing so I guess I will figure out how to solve the problem.

Is it a pita to swap the rear? Are there any other lines going to the back other than the standard 2 you cap at the rac?

there are 2 high pressure lines that run from the front rack to the rear, and two low pressure lines that run from the reservoir to the rear - you need to block off all four!

conquesttsi

Wow, you're right. The previous owner did not cap off under the hood. yikes! There's my problem. Thank you very much!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts