The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What are friends for?

I've had #506/1000 for about three weeks. Two weeks in my turbo goes out, no biggie. time for a big 16G. my exhaust manifold is also cracked, So i purchased a DMP manifold and the 16G. 4 hours later me and the 4 friends that helped are done (broken exhaust bolts.)I Started it let it warm up, set the boost to 9psi for the first pull... Pulled out onto the street and got on it and at about 3000RPM i droped cilnder number 3 WTF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif after a week of thinking it was gas then spark then back to gas... I found I had gas, I had spark, well I kinda had spark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif 1 of the 4 people working on my car had droped somthing into the exhaust side of the head in number 3; whatever it was it's takeing out the spark plug.I pulled the head and the clinder wall and head are done...

That sucks. All I can is that sometimes too many people tryin help is a bad thing.

ya I'm not mad.. unless they droped whatever it was and just didn't tell me! but I don't think that was the case.

Always best to work on your own stuff, unless it's something out of your ball park of knowledge. Then you consult a proffessional, and galantvr4.org. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

Oh now your sucking up, I see how it is. Just kidding newbie.

Thought I'd throw that in there for my new band of brothers. All jokes aside, there is massive amounts of usefull knowledge on this site. I wish I would of known about it a year ago. Thanks any how. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My best friend's father had a head gasket replaced at a Chrysler while he was on a business trip in New York. They came back out and told him they were wrong, it wasn't just the head gasket, but he needed a new shortblock. My friend told him to tell them to just put it back together, get a motel room, and he would come tow it home to PA. When we pulled the head there was the imprint of a large bolt on top of one of the pistons. They knew what they had done, because the bolt was gone, and it was too big to fit through a valve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

prove_it

Wow, I'm an auto tech and I feel so bad that someone doesn't have the integrity to admit they did that. It's hard and I've had some minor mess ups and it's scary thinking your going to lose your job over it. Seriously though, I can't believe that the tech, the writer, and the manager all covered it up. That's messed up. That's why techs have such a bad name.

Hertz

Staff member
I put your badge number in your profile. Sorry about your loss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

charmcity

Welcome to the jackstands my friend, its a good club.

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
That's why techs have such a bad name.

It all comes down to the fact that tech's only get paid when they are working (i.e. flat rate). Looking at a whole days pay going out the window while you do all that work for no pay while you have a family depending on you and a mortgage to pay will make you do some f'ed up sh*t. In my time at the dealer I never went nearly that far over the line but there was certainly days where I had to cross it a little to make my hours for the week.

John

^That system is f*cked up. I'm a car mechanic as well, but i get payed thesame amount every month. It doesn't matter if i "repair" 20 cars or 20.000 cars in that month. Doesn't matter if i do 5 head gaskets or 20 tires on a day, they pay me exactly thesame amount at the end of the month. We work with flat-rate's as well, so the time that is reserved for a specific repair is very limited but if i simply can't do it in that time limit, it doesn't matter. My boss won't be happy with me if it happens often, but it won't affect my payment at the end of the month. And every car mechanic knows that flat-rate systems is f*cked up from time to time. Doing thesame repairs on a 2 year old, or doing it on a 15 year old vehicle is a HUGE difference. And hell, i do my best, but if i can't do it in time; f*ck them. If they think they can do it better or faster, let them try it. Otherwise sh*t up and let me do my work.

prove_it

Same here. It's not the greatest system. My first dealership experience we didn't have a minimum check, so some weeks I'd get paid for 10 hours since there was no work. It was bad. Very bad. Now I have a minimum and it helps but being here for 45+ hours a week and getting paid for 30, hurts. Then you do the math and realize how rich the higher ups are getting. BOO I say. I'll be starting my own performance and body shop in a year or so. Then I'll happy.

*Still no reason to mess an engine up and deny it. You'll lose more business in the end due to poor customer satisfaction. One unhappy person tells 10, a happy person only tells 1. After a year, you'll have no one left who likes you. Where I work now, that's what they did for the last few years. Now this shop is going under.*

Last edited:

Karma brothers, Karma. Although, as f*cked up as it sounds,I almost can say I understand both points.

atc250r

Staff member
Unfortunately, good Karma don't pay the bills or feed the family. The auto repair industry in this country would be so much better off without the fucked up pay system it uses now that its not funny. It rewards techs that rip people off and punishes those that are honest. Then after a getting fucked over a bunch of times most of the honest guys go and find another type of business that they can transfer their experience as an auto tech into like I did. Think about it, how many "old" techs do you see as compared to "young" ones? I can count on one hand the number of guys over 50 I worked next to during my 14 years in the auto repair business.

John

Mechanic/ tech's are definitely not like good wine, not everything nor everyone gets better with age. You got to think though, technology has advanced so much since are grandfathers era. They just can't keep up, and to old to further there knowledge.

prove_it

That's why there is a demand for techs.

What do you do now, and uh got any jobs available?

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting Dbossman:
Mechanic/ tech's are definitely not like good wine, not everything nor everyone gets better with age. You got to think though, technology has advanced so much since are grandfathers era. They just can't keep up, and to old to further there knowledge.

Sounds like you are a young guy. Ever hear of "older and wiser"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif As the technology gets more complex the pay of the auto tech hasn't kept up with it at all. It sometimes has to do with what you're talking about but it more often has to do with the fact that we get sick and tired of clawing for every dime we get from the dealer and when you retire you have no pension or anything to show for it except what you saved in your 401K. Technology is moving forward in all areas so by your logic most people would be "obsolete" in the workplace by the time they reach 50 years old and we all know that isn't true.

Proveit,

I work for the NYC Transit system. They give tests every year or two for the job I have, hop on a plane and take the next one that comes out. If you're really serious then PM me and I'll give more details.

John

i'VE left tools in engine bays before and had them come back to me, but never anything that would destroy an engine... Flat rate or not, I've quit shops for asking me to be dishonest. Like momma always said, honesty is the best policy...

Not obselete, just not up to speed. In my experiances only. Strictly opinion.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned