The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Sputtering Upon Acceleration

Hey guys,

As you know something got into my block and scratched my #3 cylinder walls and slightly dented the head as seen on my "What Are Friends For" thread. My DD is currently blown up, so I had to piece #506 back together...

I had the head resurfaced and honed the cylinder wall with the piston still in it. The scratched came right out. The car is performing roughly the same as it was before I took it apart, expect now I know there is no longer anything inside it. As you remember in my previous thread, the spark plugs would get damaged, pitted, dented, and the diode would get crushed in #3. This is obviously due to the fact that there was something in the combustion chamber. I also feel that there may have been an un-diagnosed ignition/electrical problem due to the continued problems.

Now, after the car is put back together, I am still having a few problems. The spark plugs are no longer getting dented by debris; so I know for a fact that there is nothing inside the cylinder. Number #1 is still detonating if I take it over 3,000 RPMs. It also feels like something is litterally holding the car back. It will boost, hold boost (12PSI,) but refuse to respond with the proper performance for a 16G. I do not hold the boost for long, obviously, as my car is in rough condition and I do not want to harm it further.

Anyways, after boosting and letting the #1 diode is completely touching the electrode. It is *not* from debris. There are no dents, dings, or surface damage to the plug.

Right now the car run okay under 3,000 RPMs but every once in a while it will still start to sputter, especially when accelerating (even modestly accelerating.)

On my way to work last night, when I was about a block away from my job, I boosted it and by the time I got to work, I felt that I had crushed the #1 plug again.
When I removed the plug it was fine, I checked the other 3, also were fine. They smelled like gas after I removed them.

I want you to know that I put in Shell Premium gas to do my best to diagnose the problem as detonation, but eventhough I put in the best gas I could, I'm still having the problem.

Are there any electrical components that can cause detonation when they go bad? Faulty knock sensor? bad coils? bad injecotrs? I dont know what the part is called, but the small black box off the coil? maybe? fuel pressure regulator?

Please help, as this is now my DD again, and I dont want to throw gas on the fire...

I really like this car, and outside the 1200 mile highway drive home on cruise control, it has never driven properly for me.

Many Thanks All!

(Howz mah gramma now b!tchez? lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

solidviper89

I had a problem with my fuel pump, specifically the oring that seals the pump to the stocker pipes. I installed it incorrectly, and well it had that same issue as described. I was able to make boost, but the car wouldn't move. It was weird, and when driving slowly it would bog down badly.

The reason why I asked if you had a FPR is because that could be the source of your issue.

well I didn't put this in my post but I got an aftermarket fuel rail and put it on and the car ran badly. So, I took it off and it's still ranning bad with the stock one. So i didn't think that was it but now I think its worth a try.

Ya the guy I got it from was the second onwer and was a real enthusist he had everything redone by AMS. He even painted the car, had the rims power coated ss brake lines ball joints Etc.

turbowop

503 had all maintenance records and such and had been well taken care of, but a clogged fuel filter still became an issue shortly after I bought the car. Symptoms were similar to yours, other than the damaged cylinder and spark plug.

Hell ya guys thanks for the help it was the FPR I should have asked two weeks ago! This forum is the shiznit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

solidviper89

I think the ebay gave it away, that's the reason most people don't use ebay parts. Ill use "non-critical" items, but never would I trust a motor on an ebay knock off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned