The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird Mitsubshi Question

4wheelsqueal

The question is in regards to the build date of a 1995 Eagle Talon. Yes i know that this is the galant forum but figured there's enough guys on here with Mitsu knowledge that i might find an answer on here. the car is a '95 but the build date is Aug of 1994. Am wondering if this was one of the first 2g that rolled off the assembly line. has some weird little parts that i've never seen on any other 2g and am also trying to decide what to do with the car. if it's rare, may have to spare it from the crusher. thanks for any help!

Terry Posten

Send the VIN to Iceman. He should be able to give you the specs.

4wheelsqueal

never thought of that. thanks terry!

Hertz

Staff member
Quote:
the car is a '95 but the build date is Aug of 1994

You do realize that cars are usually built before their model year? My 1991 Galant was made in 1990.

Muskrat

Another thing to consider. I doubt an Eclipse will ever be a 'collectors car'. No one will pay extra for something that may have a few slightly different parts, especially if it's ready to go to the crusher. A car like that would need to be mint, low miles to be worth anything. These things are a dime a dozen, and their appeal is really their cheapness. They can be made to go relatively fast without spending a fortune.

Terry Posten

Yeah, the only "valuable" stock TEL is the one-and-only factory convertible that is making the rounds at MOD and that is really not that special.

curtis

My buddy has one of 4 epic f*** ups they sent out in the 1st gen time. They vin'd and paper worked 4 fwd turbos as awds, even had the sticker on the side of the car. He didn't even look under it until the first oil change. That evening was at the dealer wanting to kick someones teeth. You'd have to see him, Spanky is a big boy. They ended up paying him the difference in price and giving him a hell of a discount, can't remember all the particulars but it made him want to keep it and still has it, one owner 1st gen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

IIRC they would have started building the 1995 model year cars in July of 1994.

Quoting Hertz:
Quote:
the car is a '95 but the build date is Aug of 1994

You do realize that cars are usually built before their model year? My 1991 Galant was made in 1990.

++1

my 90 gsx was built in mid 89. this is typical, and yes it has been known that vehicles built in an early production model will have a few goofy parts that'll differ from the normal model

Wizardawd

Along with what they said....sometimes its those little things that set those early build cars apart from the rest that you actually DONT want. IE, defective design, part, etc. Take a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee for example. The first few months of the model year had recalls and TSBs several pages long. By the end of the model year it was down to a few items.

And like what was mentioned, there are far too many DSMs to ever be valuable atm. When there are less than 50,000 left...that's when they may spark interest. So we only have to get rid of what....6.8 million DSMs worldwide to get it down to 50k?

Wiz

4wheelsqueal

yeah i realized that they started making them before the next model year. was just curious if it was one the first off the line but guessing that there's no way to find that out. probably just finish stripping it and crush it.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting Terry Posten:
Send the VIN to Iceman. He should be able to give you the specs.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting 4wheelsqueal:
yeah i realized that they started making them before the next model year. was just curious if it was one the first off the line but guessing that there's no way to find that out. probably just finish stripping it and crush it.

Fairly easy to tell from the VIN. The first 8 months or so were built that way according to CAPS.

Those rear rotors and calipers should swap over to any rear disk 2g. Interested in selling them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wizardawd

Question....is it even a turbo model? That'll make a big difference in what parts are worth keeping? And if it is Turbo...AWD or FWD?

Wiz

4wheelsqueal

oh yeah it's a turbo awd model. wouldn't even bother with a n/a one.; it has the eprom ecu, different front and back end. will send you the vin ice, and then maybe work a deal for the rear brakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brunoboy

95-96 same body 97-98 same body 99 different from all including the 3g litters, 95 is the. Only year of 2gs where they all came EPROM ecu' s IIRC

4wheelsqueal

nothing left now. car was stripped and crushed. all awd parts are being transfered to a '96 sypder i had laying around. gotta have a nice convertible for the wife to drive later this summer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned