The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VR4 on E85??

I live in CA n i just got a 1991 galant VR4 and so far i have got a Big 16G turbo, RC 560cc, Apexi S-AFC2, but im looking to run E85 but be for i do that i want to put a FMIC and 3' full exhaust! what do you guys think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brianawd

Can't be done. E85 is for flexfuel cars only. If you put it in your car the engine will blow up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

my friend is running it on his EVO?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif even if i tune it??

yea thats what i was thinking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif im going to get a 255 fuel pump n DSM link

Brianawd

Your friend is going to blow up his evo. Only a car company has the skill need to set up a car to run on e85. There are so many changes in the fuel and timing maps that only they know how to set up. Oh and you have to have some really expensive fuel pumps and lines to run it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

brisvr4

Quoting Brianawd:
Can't be done. E85 is for flexfuel cars only. If you put it in your car the engine will blow up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Cheeky bugger! - Poor noob!!

Of course it'll work, Brian is just afraid someone will beat his ass at the track one day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

LMAO!!! oh i see!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif does any one know sum one who can tune on E85??

brisvr4

I waited until I purchased a copy of Dsmlink V3 before I changed over to E85.
It is a very user-friendly system to use.
Or, another easy option is to get yourself a Keydiver chip set up to what you need. That is a plug and play option as long as you have a socketed ecu.

But the FIRST thing I would do is maintenance...
Timing belt, water pump etc. Make sure the car will live before you try to throw a lot of power at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cool! well motor has been Freshly been rebuilt so i should b straight!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif i was just thinking of doing ARP head studs and metal gasket! another think where can i get a downpipe and exhaust in Cali? well 1g AWD downpipe work? and what about exhaust?

I wanna do FMIC, full Exhaust, ARP head studs and metal head gasket before i go E85! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif oh and DSMlink!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Brianawd

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It will work great. If you do a search on here there is a lot of info on running e85 and what is needed to do so.

I was just having some fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Lonewolf64

Don't take any offense, but judging from your posts in this thread you are nowhere near ready to undertake any significant project such as converting to E85. I highly recommend you become familiar with this site's search feature, as these questions have been answered many a time.

You need to make sure you've done all proper maintenance on your car, including making sure the ECU has been recapped and socketed sometime in the past before your ECU becomes a worthless acidic piece of junk. You also need to think about what you are going to do for fuel control. As someone mentioned earlier Jeff can make a chip set up for E85, but every time you make a change in your setup you'll need a new chip. This works fine for many, but not for some. DSMlink is another very good option, but you need to be capable of tuning it yourself (and have the means...see wideband O2) or pay a reputable tuner to tune it for you.

E85 is 30% less efficient by volume than gasoline so you'll need to keep in mind that you'll need a significantly increased fuel system. Ideally you'd want more than a single walboro 255lph pump in tank for E85, but then again I know nothing about your setup and how much airflow you will be seeing. Stock injectors are out of the question. You'll probably want something around the 1000cc area. Don't forget that with the upgraded fuel pump you'll also need to upgrade to an AFPR to keep from overrunning the stock fuel pressure regulator. Another thing to think about is driveability off E85. Once you get much larger than 1000cc or even right around there, drivability becomes an issue when attempting to run pump gas if in any case you need to revert back to pump.

Finally, be prepared to be changing your fuel filters OFTEN for a few weeks because certain substances that dissolve in gasoline do not dissolve in E85 so you'll have a lot of precipitate gunk for a few weeks upon switching.

These are just a few things to keep in mind off the top of my head. Due to some of the inconveniences I addressed earlier, I chose not to go the E85 road with my own car. Instead I have purchased a methanol injection kit which will be used to effectively raise the octane rating of my 93 pump gas while also providing a very nice cooling effect. It was much easier and the better option in my situation.

Have fun learning about these cars...READ READ READ! This site is a goldmine of info if you use it right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brunoboy

Quoting vr40314:
LMAO!!! oh i see!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif does any one know sum one who can tune on E85??

what part of cali are you from?
-shane

Quoting vr40314:

California is a big state as you know, so may want to specify where you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif in this thread and in your profile.

If you're in So Cal call Road Race Engineering click .They tune cars regulary on E85, including Evo's, DSM's and Galant's and can sell/install a downpipe and exhaust for you along with just about anything else you can think of.

If you're in Nor Cal, call the guys at GST Motorsports and they can tune the car on E85 as well click

You can also order both the downpipe and exhaust made by Certified Muffler from a member on here (screen name Garfield Wright) click , good luck.

Daryl

prove_it

I highly recommend getting dsmlink V3 and running e85. Biggest reason is that you can put a switch in the dash and switch between pump gas and e85 fuel and timing maps.

That way you can run either fuel and all you have to do is flip a switch. It's bada$$. I'm working on my friends talon and we are setting up it up to do just that.

Don't use a SAFC due to the fact that it won't proerly tune for e85. It won't add timing so you won't end up making any real improvement over 93 octane. Only dsmlink or a keydiver chip is worth the money and the swap.

Also make sure you upgrade your fuel pressure regualator. The 1st gen style won't flow correctly and your fuel pressure will vary, which can cause a rich or lean condition. When your on E85, this is even more bad.

Brunoboy

Quoting vr4underboost:
Quoting vr40314:

California is a big state as you know, so may want to specify where you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif in this thread and in your profile.

If you're in So Cal call Road Race Engineering click .They tune cars regulary on E85, including Evo's, DSM's and Galant's and can sell/install a downpipe and exhaust for you along with just about anything else you can think of.

If you're in Nor Cal, call the guys at GST Motorsports and they can tune the car on E85 as well click

You can also order both the downpipe and exhaust made by Certified Muffler from a member on here (screen name Garfield Wright) click , good luck.

FFTEC in union City
-shane

Daryl

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned