The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vr4 on e85

LIV4PSI

Quoting turbowop:
Who cares what the fuel mileage and BTU is? It makes as much power as real race gas for waaaaay cheaper. I don't think anybody with a high power Mitsu is using E85 in hopes to improve their fuel mileage, they're just trying to make more power. For that, it works, and works well.

My thoughts exactly. E85 on turbo cars isn't a new thing, it has been tried, tested and proved. The only real disadvanges are the extra fuel support neccessary to run it, and the fact it isn't available everywhere. Also, cold starts can be harder under some circumstances.

Brianawd

Quote:
^^As soon as somebody starts having to throw out names, their credibility goes to the drain...thanks for playing and good luck on the gamble.

Sorry for the jack ass comment. That was uncalled for. But I'm speaking from years of experience of running e85. Maybe you can answer this. If its so bad and will kill your fuel system, then whey do we have people that have been running the stuff for over 60k miles on stock fuels lines,tanks and rails with no problems. The only problem I have ever seen is some black goo build up. some people have had it worse then others. I my self never had a problem with it running the same 1600cc injectors the whole time. Please post up why using real world experience.

Brianawd

Quote:
You want cheap race gas buy toluene and research F1 fuel and do some searching on the Grand national websites. The turbo regals have been making home brew since the 80's from xylene, toluene, and marvels mystery oil. I've mixed the stuff and it works.

Toluene and Xylene are 114 and 117 octane each. About $20 a gallon here,(Both are also used for Meth and buying lots of it will get you red flagged) It can be mixed with gas to raise the octane, I used to mix 3 gallons of 92 plus 1 gallon of toluene. That would give me around 97-98octan. Still less then e85 and 110 race gas. It also ends up costing you $32 for 4 gals. so $8gal for 97-98octan. Sunco 110 is around $60 for 5 gals so $12gal. e85 is $3.19gal and is 105octan but tunes like C16. Don't forget that Toluene is really nasty sh*t. It will strip the paint right off your car. Don't get he sh*t on your skin.

JNR

Thank you and I'm not here to say don't run it, but just be aware there are potential issues running the stuff, since you may or may not know where the product comes from and how it was stored, or even how long you may be storing it in your vehicle (as an owner). If you have a reliable source and have taken precautions for it and of course changed the 'tune' as you run it, it does have benefits as you clearly have proven. My only point was that for the average person not to just go pump E85 into their car without understanding what it is they're potentially getting into, so as to avoid those mishaps and enjoy the benefits; hope that makes sense at least.

I am not an "internet" person btw (was fortunate to grow up before that era) and only share information to help other people not make a possible mistake if they're not educated about something and not coming here to bash it.

As for the mileage stuff, perhaps I was not clear in that I was mostly referring to E10 and those are strictly theoretical, apples to apples.

uncleben4rice

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. E85 on turbo cars isn't a new thing, it has been tried, tested and proved. The only real disadvantages are the extra fuel support necessary to run it, and the fact it isn't available everywhere. Also, cold starts can be harder under some circumstances.

You got that right. Cold starts now suck and are embarrassing. I know of some guys running e85 on smaller injector cars (750cc) but there duty cycles are way up, maxed out. Like I said before my duty cycles are at 61% on my 1600cc and my cruise speed AFR's are around 14/17 on the wide-band, that's leaner than I ran pump 12/15.. I would say definitely seek out another corn juice junkie and get some good information before changing over. I also have two maps on my dsmlink, one for pump (in case I get stuck without my super sauce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif) and one for e85. The guy who tuned my car runs e85 on his low 9 second talon. He has tons of experience and knows what works and what does not. I AM NOT A TUNER...NEVER PRETENDED TO BE...I love my little black car cause its hot.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Tubowop ...I am a regular dude and somewhat knowledgeable about the little cars. I wish my car was as clean as you and Brian. I just like talking smack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brianawd

Taking some Air flow away at start up and holding the throttle open when cranking helps with the cold start

bazeng

I'm about to move into the E85 world.
Got my 2200cc injectors and big SX 1000hp fuel pump.

I'm thinking of running my fuel system for a few hours with the lines looped. So out the fuel pump back into the surge tank return.
I'll just swap out about 3 fuel filters and hopefully all the gunk will be gone from the tank.

Is all the gunk from the fuel tank?
Will I need to change out the internal tank filter?

Quite excited about trying E85 actually.

Brianawd

Quote:
I'm about to move into the E85 world.
Got my 2200cc injectors and big SX 1000hp fuel pump.

I'm thinking of running my fuel system for a few hours with the lines looped. So out the fuel pump back into the surge tank return.
I'll just swap out about 3 fuel filters and hopefully all the gunk will be gone from the tank.

Is all the gunk from the fuel tank?
Will I need to change out the internal tank filter?

Quite excited about trying E85 actually.

I never did any thing other then drain my tank of pump and fill with e85. Never had a problme with my fuel pump or fuel filter. I ran a stock fuel filter for 3 years with not problme. I even cut on open after a few tanks of e85 to see what it looked like. Its was clean and not build up a any thing.

Brianawd

Quote:
Thanks Brian, Im gonna try that next time

Sorry been a little bit for me playing with dsmlink. You want to add a little air when starting. Also. so you know how it works. When going 100% on the throttle when cranking, will activate CRANKING FUEL CUT. Do that for 3-5secs Then let off the throttle and the injectors will fire. By playing around with the air flow at start up and using the cranking fuel cut I was able to get my car started in 40deg weath with only about 5 or so secs of cranking.
also try this. I never got around to doing it but lots how people have now and it works great
click

Last edited:

uncleben4rice

E85 guys..What oil are you using? I have been told to use diesel 40 weight. I was told the ethonol breaks down the oil faster. I currrently run Castrol 20-50. I change my oil every 3 to 5k.

4thStroke

I don't think you need to worry too much about oil selection. I would stay with a thick oil (20-50). I know Brad Penn released an announcement that their oil should not be used with ethanol, but I never did have an issue, nor have many other users that I know. I would just be sure to change the oil often. Using as much fuel as you do with ethanol, the ethanol definitely finds its way to the pan more so than gasoline. The castrol you are using will probably be just fine.

Brianawd

I ran RP. I did it based off a report I fund from a indepent oil test and the efects of e85 on motor oil. RP got the highest score of all the oils tested. I wish I could find the info but can't for the life of me. But like Spencer said any oil will work. I would just make sure to change it every 2k. But thats just me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned