The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Correct heat range plugs for E85?

brisvr4

I'm just about to step up to Dsmlink V3 and I thought it was about time that I jumped on the E85 bandwagon. Can't let you guys over there have all the fun!
I will be running the new Bluemax 1450cc injectors (for plenty of headroom)with all supporting mods and a 50 trim turbo at 25psi+.
What I need to know is what heat range plugs you guys with E85 are using. I'm currently using Ngk 7's.

This is for a weekend car only so it doesn't need to have the same manners as a daily!

Tim

Brianawd

I have been running 6s. I tryed some 7s and 8s but did not like how the car ran when first stared up. It would miss for a little bit then clean its self up. Went back to 6s and never had that problem again. Also with e85 because it burns much cooler a colder plug is not needed

prove_it

+1. when we were tuning e85 cars we just used the same ol plugs as usual.

brisvr4

Excellent, thanks guys!

bazeng

Tim,

What fuel (brand) will you be using?
Is it readily available over there?

Also what AFR should we be tuning to with the E85 stuff? I've been told that the AFR's are the same as normal Unleaded stuff...

brisvr4

Hey Barry,
For now I'm going to get it from Racefuels up here in 20l drums. I just have to check the pricing out tomorrow.
They do have have an office down in Vic as well mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Racefuels
I think Brian would be the best person to answer the afr question but from what I have read so far you tune it to similar numbers on the wideband to unleaded.

Brianawd

Just tune the same as you would with race gas. 11.8-12.0afr is what I tune my car at. I have gone as lean as 12.5-13.0afr with no knock but I feel the car did not make any more power than it did at 11.8-12.0.

Enjoy the car. E85 made me really start enjoying my car again because of not having to change tunes for gas and then race gas. I just tuned it was 30psi and leave it be. But if you don't like to run that much boost all the time you can just turn the boost down and keep the tune that it has and the car runs fine.

Last year I had my high boost set for 28-30psi and my low boost set for 22psi and just left the tune set for 28-30psi. On the low boost setting car still ran 11.60@120. Then I just flipped the switch for the high boost and the car went 11.1@131. e85 is good sh*t

prove_it

Yea you want to shoot for around 11:1 on E85. Everywhere will tell you that E85 runs at 9:5 for stoich, but that runs too rich around that point. Around 11:1 is about where you get the best power/safety balance.

Brianawd

Quote:
Yea you want to shoot for around 11:1 on E85. Everywhere will tell you that E85 runs at 9:5 for stoich, but that runs too rich around that point. Around 11:1 is about where you get the best power/safety balance.

11.1 is rich. Just like 11.1 is rich on 110-114. Over the last two 3 years I and many of my friends have found 11.8-12.0 to be the sweet spot for e85 on a gas wideband.

When they are talking about 9.5:1 being stoich. They are talking about tunning with a ethanol wideband not a gas wideband

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned