The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vibrating

if my car is under load there is a bad vibration that runs through the car, its really bad in third gear at 3 to 4 thousand rpms and in fourth at abouth the same. it doesnt do it when its cold. i have replaced both front cv axles and have rebuilt the drive shaft, also swapt the t case and nothing has fixed it.... anybody have a idea?

Rausch

Quote:
rebuilt the drive shaft,

Was it balanced?

Search the "wub-wubs" and you will find some interesting info regarding shimming the DS and the rear diff issues that may also be contributing.

CarRacer

My car made a same sort of shuddering/grinding noise on decel. It turns out the intermediate shaft bearings in the transmission were taking a dump. How many miles on the transmission?

the transmission only has 50k on it, the vibration is just super strong on the front of the car

CarRacer

How many launches have happened during those 50k? Front localized vibration sound sure seems to point to the tranny to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

You need to determine if it's an RPM based thing or an MPH based thing. That will narrow it down to one side of the transmission or the other. If it's RPM then you're talking engine or something on the input side of the tranny. If it's speed related then you're talking output side of the transmission or transfer case or prop shaft or rear differential or CV shafts etc.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Welcome to the board, Matt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've ridden in this car, and this vibration is kind of funky. I didn't feel well enough to drive it myself, but the vibration threshold does not appear to be directly tied to engine speed or road speed, it seems to be more about load.

[edit]To clarify, you can run at any rpm/speed, and there won't be a problem until a heavy load is applied.

Once occuring, the vibration appears to be tied more to road speed than anything else, suggesting a driveline problem. A bad/binding/dry u-joint or c.v., or a problem with the carrier bearings were my initial feelings, but I also can't rule out a front/center/rear diff or internal transmission issue. I haven't been underneath this car yet, but Andrew and Gary are working on the problem, and I'm sure they'll find it.

In the meantime, I'm sure your suggestions are welcome, and appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned