The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valvecover gasket question? + 3 extra questions

EgonOlsen

So I removed a valvecover for the first time ever today, just to tell you what level we are on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Good thing I did since it seems a crack in it had been covered with some sealant. Anyway....

it had been sealed using a lot of liquid sealant+ prolly an old gasket, hell of a job to get all that old gasket off.
But do I need to use Liquid sealant as well??
I have a brand new gasket set for the cover + another cover. so I wont need to use the liquid kind as well, do I?

Last edited:

beaner

Quoting EgonOlsen:
I have a brand new gasket set for the cover + another cover. so I wont need to use the liquid kind as well, do I?

Nope. Put the new gaskets in the grooves on the valve cover, then put the valve cover on the engine. Remember, the bolts are torqued down very little. Tighten them too much and you'll learn why the first cover is cracked.

Diego

There was silicon holding a few spots in my old VC gasket, I just replaced it 2 weeks ago and noticed the silicon. Re-installed a new VC gasket and just left it as is.

I like to dab a little bit right where the cam caps meet the cylinder head. I do it for my own peace of mind. I haven't ever done a VC gasket without it. Don't know if it is necessary, but I do it any way

Terry Posten

Put a small amount of grey RTV at each place the gasket rises up off of a level plane. And also a small amount where the rubber camshaft half moon plug meets up with the rubber main gasket.

So, small amounts at each corner of the cam cap humps (cam gear end), corners of the CAS hump, and half moon plug.

4nmscle

You should not have to use any to put this gasket on. Some use just a drop to hold the gasket in the cover, but I only use mitsu stuff when using an evo half moon (aluminum).

EgonOlsen

ok ty, I think that cleared that up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3 other questions then.

I have a spare n/a GTI intake manifold, is that the same/usuable for the VR4?

Can I see easy if the car have upgraded lifters now the valvecover is off?
and last..
Can I see what size the injectors is without having to take them out?(just wanna confirm they are the size I was told)

Terry Posten

No clue on the intake mani question. We never had the GTI model here.

To tell what lifters you have you will have to pop one rocker off and look at the hole in the tip. If it's about 1mm wide, then they are first gen. If they are about 3mm, then they should be at least 3rd gen.

What color are the injectors? Black, blue, etc... Are you sure they are stock units?

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

Here is 2 pics of the GTI manifold

And no im pretty sure its not stock injectors, was told it had FIC80, which I think should be 850cc or summat. They are black afaik tell.

AWDPower

On the valve cover, use sealant on the right angle bends on the cam caps and on the half moon seal mentioned above. I really like "The Right Stuff" from Permatex, it seals great and doesn't need to cure...

The Right Stuff

On the injectors, most aftermarket injectors I've seen have the size engraved on the body.

On the intake manifold, make sure it has the nipple for the BOV line. It should be right below the "T" in Multi, I couldn't tell if it was there in your picture.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

Quoting Beaner:
Looks identical to the USDM 1g DSM / GVR4 manifold to me.

As stated above it does not have that Vacuum nipple under the T in multi, does that mean its unusuable?

mikus

usable but you'll miss that port.

As poster said it should be carved on them, probably have to pull 'em to see for sure. My FIC 850's are black with that purple letter sticker.

Terry Posten

Just drill and tap two fittings into the back end for extra vac sources.

That intake will provide great low end power and still support 350whp as is.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned