The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Gasket Smoke? + Tranny Issue!

GVR47111K

So I finally got 711 started after about 2 months or so of sitting and procrastination and it was smoking because of what I think was new gasket smoke. Is that a real thing? I replaced the exhaust manifold and gasket as well the turbo to manifold gasket with new bolts and nuts for the turbo and block. Now when I went to start it for the first time after the wal-mart battery finally charged /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif it was giving off some smoke from around the manifold and turbo. The turbo is a 16g (XSPower I think. Is that a good make?) And the manifold is a 2G mani from galant1517. I turned it off and let it sit about 15 minutes and then went to try it again. It started right up and there was no smoke after about 3 minutes of running. Should I be concerned about the smoke?

Last edited:

Barnes

This is very common when installing new turbo parts. Grease, finger prints, lubricants etc get on the parts one way or another and smoke off when you start the car the first time. If there are no visible leaks just drive the car and check it after 15-30mins worth of run time. Should be no smoke after that point.

GVR47111K

Ok thanks, but now after driving it around I've found out it wont build boost. I have a boost gauge but it's not installed and the stock one only goes up to vacuum. What could be the reason for this? Boost leaks from the inter cooler piping? Boost leaks somewhere else? But still it would boost a little bit at least if it were just a boost leak(s), right? I can post up pics if it helps.

GVR47111K

Alright, so I was all excited that the car was running again so I decided to take it to work even though it won't boost. In total, I put about 30 miles on the car today going to and from work and on the way to work the car starts stalling when I come to stop. I didn't realize what it was until a bit later and then I found out it would stall out whenever I put the clutch in while stationary. So I get to work and do my shift and leave. When I go to leave the car still dies putting in the clutch. Later, after about halfway driving home, some of the gears get really, really tough to grab. So at this point I'm starting to think I'm fucked. It got so bad that I couldn't even get some gears at one point so I would coast for a while in neutral and try again and luckily I would be able to grab a gear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif What's the deal here? Am I looking at a tranny rebuild? Is it transmission related? I really don't want to visit Jack's in Colorado Springs but at the same time, it would be for the best. Input, please?

GVR47111K

I called around and drove it again and I'm pretty sure the slave is failing. It did sit for about 2 months after all, and I think the slave and/or master is a lot more likely to fail after 2 months of sitting rather than anything tranny related. One shop I talked to said that if it were dripping, it would drip onto the clutch pedal assembly into the cabin and onto the floor board. Can anyone confirm this? I checked that and it was dry as a bone, just pretty dirty is all. Also, the slave cylinder is under the car? And the master is bolted to the firewall? Right? If anyone has a slave for sale, pm me. (Insert racial joke here.)

SmoothCustomer

The slave is held on by two bolts to the bellhousing of the transmission. The line that runs from the master runs directly to the slave. It makes sense that it would drip into the car because that's where the boot is but I've never really heard of that happening.

Edit: you can just get a master and slave cylinder for cheap from a parts store or rock auto. It won't be as good or last as long as oem, but at least you can verify that it's the problem and be driving it around for the time being.

Last edited:

GVR47111K

Alright, well I got a brand new slave for relatively cheap, (compared to dealership prices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif) and I'll hopefully have that in one Wednesday. If thats not it, I'll try the master next but I really hope it's just the slave because I was able to start the car in 1st gear with the clutch fully depressed and the car still somehow managed to drive itself 10 feet up the driveway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

a2vr4

Before you replace the slave, inspect the rubber clutch hose that the slave attaches to. If there is any ballooning that may be adding to your problems and it should be replaced immediately. I have always replaced the stock rubber for braided stainless lines on my cars. To properly inspect the hose its best to have an assistant to depress the clutch peddle while you are inspecting it.
~Brian A. Moreno

GVR47111K

Thanks for the tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned