The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Used value of sheptrans?

Epifool

I saw a talon on local craigslist, getting parted out. The person is asking $1600 for a "stage 4" sheptrans. The longblock is removed from the car, so no test drive. My actual question is- is the trans worth this price(assuming he has approriate documentation)?

manikbastrd

If it is in BNIB condition, then it probably is IMHO, but I wouldn't pay almost 2k$ for a used tranny that I can't even test drive. I would rather spend the 2k at Jack's and know exactly what I am getting. If you can, get the serial number from the trans and call ShepTrans and ask for the details on the tranny. They should keep records of it.

GSTwithPSI

This Shep stage 3 has been on T00ners for a while now (4 months at least). Just to give you an idea... click

Shepherd Racing Stage 3 Transmission with 4 Spider Differential (1991-1994 AWD): $1750 plus shipping
- Shep Stage 3 Transmission with the following upgrades:
- Double synchro 2nd Gear
- Heavy Duty 3-4 Conversion
- Heavy Duty 3-4 Shift Rail
- 4 Spider Center Differential
- Torrington Bearing
- New 1st Gear

I've gotta agree with manikbastrd though. 2k is a lot to pay for something used that you can't really inspect or test out until it is in your car. At least with a turbo, you can get a good idea of its condition. Usually, guys running a built trans aren't exactly putting around town with them. Just something to keep in mind.

I recently picked up a used moderately "built" trans (welded diff, all new bearings/seals/syncros. Double synchro'd second gear). The guy actually sent me videos of him driving the car with the trans in, which was cool. I mean, I guess it could have been any trans in the car, but he seemed sincere enough. I got a great deal, and paid $600 shipped. It was done by a local shop though, not Shep. A lot of what you pay for is the name when buying a Shep trans IMO. At the end of the day, no matter who does the rebuild, many of the parts used are off the shelf Mitsubishi components.

Last edited:

donniekak

Same as any used trans $250. You can have a trans with 50 miles on it, that looks brand new with trashed synchros, sliders, and gears from a mis adjusted clutch.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Without a posted video of the trans in question, torn down and dissected, you only have someones word to go on.

Crap shoot.

I'm in that boat right now.

EMX5636

I do see these sell for between $1500-2000 fairly often. Price seems about right if you can verify it's build/condition.

transparentdsm

i paid 250 for a used trans, i was told it shifted fine and all that, its was just an old trans with 130k on it. i get it in the car and it always grinds in 1st and 2nd.

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

I agree with the others who are saying it's a crap shoot. I paid almost 3k for Jack to rebuild my trans when I used to have a 1g. Due to hydraulic issues, my fault, the synchros were gone within 1000 miles and 2nd/3rd were notchy and grinding again. So unless I actually got to drive the car with the trans in it, I wouldn't care what was done to it. I learned my lesson the VERY hard way ha.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I can see the value if and when this is the case:

Syncros in whatever condition but ... you can inspect the dog teeth, or have pictures to prove they are not worn out
Gear sets are upgraded and worth the extra money, and are impossible to source separately at that price point
Upgraded syncro gear seats, double. Close ration EVO3 gearings .... you get the idea.

If the trans needs a rebuild, simply from a syncro standpoint, then it's not so bad.
Aim for a trans that had an ATB LSD installed, if you have to worry about FWD.
In the OP's case, that likely doesn't matter.

The value of the core is what matters in these cases.
But without the core being opened up for inspection, it's hard to say what is good and what is not, other than how it "was" shifting.

Street Surgeon

If you can verify that it is indeed a shep stg 4 and that it's in good shape then yeah 1500-2000 is reasonable, however if you don't know the trans' history or can't verify I'd stay away and spend that scratch on a tim zimmer or boostin trans.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned