The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new vr4 owner

I recently purchased a black 91 vr4. I live in NJ and bought it from NY. I recently sold my 06 altima se-r 6speed that i drove 1500 miles a year. The amount of driving I did didnt justify a car payment. I wanted either a hobby car or a 4 door pickup truck, but with a $3-4k budget, I couldnt get a pickup. I looked into 90s Impala SS's and Dakota R/Ts but both were hard to find and a tad out of my price range. Im far from new to 4G63s, as my first car in 1999 was a 90 talon tsi fwd that i bought for $1500 with 180k, but i was hooked since then. In my early 20s I built 2 different 12 second awds, but became bored with them. since then I messed with pwcs and bought a motorcycle, but always had the itch to still own a 4g63 car, but just couldn't live with a dsm.
I found a no sunroof 91 vr4 with 141k. JDM motor, B16g,ets fmic, 3g mas, keydiver chip running cyclone intake, 550s,rewired walbro, FP ex manifold, 3" CM turboback, and A/C removed. As far as power goes, everything is in place to run mid 12s if driven right. I have no desire to make it faster, maybe adding an afc to tune it better. The rest of the car is stock- clutch, suspension, wheels, brakes. Does have shifter bushings and grant steering wheel. 4ws is still intact. Car overall isnt in great shape, but it's serviceable. Theres no significant underbody rust, but there is a rusted out front fender, rust around windshield and backglass, and power antenna. I do autoglass for a living so cleaning that rust will be easy, same goes for antenna area, and fender replacement.
My plans for the car are to clean all the rust,it needs brakes badly,so I ordered slotted front rotors and hawk pads, and will do stock brakes in the back. I also ordered a high flow cat, for inspection reasons. I want a mild suspension for the street- just a better stance and nice 17x7 or 7.5 wheels on the 4lug hubs. The interior smells like an old ass car. I sense it leaks or leaked at some point, so I want to pull the carpet when I get a chance, get it steamcleaned and have the stiff leather conditioned. The interior is faded, but it wouldn't bother me as everything functions as it should. I want a mild street clutch with a stage 1 rebuild of the trans. Getting the body work done, painted and underbody coated will be last.
The car runs great, pulls strong and smooth, but idles low and stalls coming to stops at times. I'll look into it, but Im happy with the purchase, especially when it takes its permanent home in my garage when i buy a house within the next 6-9 months.
As for the badge number, its 1365/2000 which is odd, as I seen that badge # being parted out in florida 3 years ago, and i know this is not that car, as this cars autocheck shows it being a ny car it's entire life. I've also seen it in somebodys sig on here too. So i assume the badge was bought, but I dont get worked up over the badge because I feel that it doesnt mean much.
My ultimate goal is to have a vintage mint 80s looking car that can shake off mid to high 12's all night at the track, and can leave a vette scratching his head at a stoplight from time to time. I look foward to achieving my long term goals with this car, with the help of this forum and i'm glad to own one of the ugliest fastest cars 99% of the population has no idea about.

Barnes

Welcome back to the 4G63!

Looks like you have a pretty good plan figured out. Hope we can help you out on the journey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AnotherNewb

Welcome to the forum. Post some pics up so we can see what your working with. If you don't have a key fob you can pick a replica up off of curtis just check out the forsale forum and check out the sticky at the top.

Welcome to the board! Seems like you have all your goals already so good luck with the build/repair. +1 on some pics!

Jesse

Pulled the carpet today, and removed wiring for cd changer/system that was once in car. Water was collecting near driver seat and lightly near passenger seat. Im going to leave carpet out until I can confirm where the leak is coming from. I believe it to be the Windshield. I do autoglass for a living and can see the previous install was done poorly with. Rust has begun to show from the moldings, so I pulled them and will be pulling the glass soon to repair the rust around the windshield pinchweld that is working its way on to the roof. Im going to clean up the bare floor, and shampoo the carpet, and trunk carpet and be sure I have fixed the leak before it goes back in. Thats where I'm at now.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSNT

Did someone polish the number plate??

I would just take the carpet to a self service car wash and pressure wash the hell out of it. You will never get all the crap out with regular shampooing, pressure washing gets EVERYTHING out.

Yes, unfortunately someone did polish it. Right now I'm just cleaning the car up and out and getting it daily driver road ready, so I want to do a thorough job on the carpet because I dont plan on having it out again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts