The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Underbody refinish?

Romanova

So I dropped the gas tank last night and the rear subframe is out as well. Prior to putting everything back in place, what is the best way to clean it up and make it look pretty? There really isn't any rust to speak of so I don't know if POR15 would be a good option. Perhaps just clean with degreaser and then use rubberized undercoating? Any suggestions?

JSchleim18

You can do POR15 if you feel rust may become an issue later on but I just cleaned it up and resprayed the bottom with rubberized undercoating

pot

Staff member
You may also try using afterward/before 3M "Body Shutz" Part No 08864. This sealant is what the FSM calls for on the undercarriage.

Although each bottle is pricey it dries and appears quite nice when done.

G

Staff member
Do the 3m under body rubber stuff. You can buy it in aerosol can form.

broxma

I did as well. 3M rubberized.

/brox

381gvr4

Me 5 on the 3m in cans. Por15 is the greatest stuff EVER for simple rust coverage but expensive if rust is not an issue! Awesome to hear you started you teardown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

turbowop

When I did mine, I used rubberized undercoating under the floor and wheelwells only. Basically, only the parts that are part of the actual "shell" of the car. All the suspension/subframe/etc components got regular semigloss paint.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned