The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rpm's goto redline when clutch is pushed in HELP!

ok....sorry for the post really..the search is not so good.

Had to go pickup the car last night from Kroger parking lot. Wife was driving and she says when she put the clutch in the rpm's would goto 6, 7, grand...whoa.

She says she doesn't think the gas pedal is sticking but not sure.

So I was wondering...does this sound like a bad TPS?

The throttle cable was my first thought but if the pedal is coming back up that didn't sound right.

Any suggestions would be great. Had this car along time but I'm not a mechanic...

Thanks!

TJ

gvr4ever

Sounds like a stuck throttle, or TPS. I've seen them fail(ing) before and I saw the RPMs slowly go too high, not shoot up to red line. I guess anything is possible.

Could the cruise control box fail and do this?

1941Galant

If you still have cruise control, it is probably a stuck throttle cable. I test drove a VR4 for sale in town a few weeks ago, and coming up to a stock sign the engine was stuck at 4k rpm. I killed it, popped the hood, and sure enough some plastic inside the throttle cable sheath came out and was stuck between the throttle body and the cable holding the bracket onto the intake manifold.

I believe that may be the problem.

Any fixes? or just get a new cable?

I'm prety broke right now so work arounds are welcome!

TJ

belize1334

Often times the plastic sleeve on the throttle cable breaks loose and gets bound up on the throttle wheel. The simple fix is just to cut away the plastic shroud. Find the throttle cable where it bolts the back of the intake manifold. Run your fingers down the cable till you find the wheel that it raps around. Pull on the cable to open the throttle all the way. Inspect the cable and makes if there's a plastic sleeve jiggly around on it then use a sharp object to carefully remove the sleeve. Make sure you don't cut the cable in the process. The check and make sure that the throttle plate shuts fully when you release the cable. The wheel should rotate 90 between open and closed.

prove_it

Does it idle fine when sitting in neutral?
Your title says when you push the clutch in then it goes to redline. so I was wondering if that's the case you can a different issue.

solidviper89

Quoting belize1334:
Often times the plastic sleeve on the throttle cable breaks loose and gets bound up on the throttle wheel. The simple fix is just to cut away the plastic shroud. Find the throttle cable where it bolts the back of the intake manifold. Run your fingers down the cable till you find the wheel that it raps around. Pull on the cable to open the throttle all the way. Inspect the cable and makes if there's a plastic sleeve jiggly around on it then use a sharp object to carefully remove the sleeve. Make sure you don't cut the cable in the process. The check and make sure that the throttle plate shuts fully when you release the cable. The wheel should rotate 90 between open and closed.

+1 that is what mine had, it freaked me out the first few times it did that.

no..idles fine...just when driving around. Actually it hasn't happened to me at all but to my wife....everytime I drive it everything is fine...lol

TJ

Terry Posten

Worst case is the throttle plate screws backed out and the plate is flopping around in the throttlebody bore.

Jesh

i know i'm the newbie here but is she taking her foot off the gas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Quoting spyder_gsr:
no..idles fine...just when driving around. Actually it hasn't happened to me at all but to my wife....everytime I drive it everything is fine...lol

TJ

If it idles fine with the clutch out and in neutral it wouldn't be a throttle cable issue. Sounds like a real interesting issue. Possibly a bad ISC? I can't really say since a stuck throttle would rev the engine at idle also. Still possible but odd.

Maybe she's pushing the clutch in before letting off the gas?

Jesh

that would make sense. go for a ride with her and watch how she drives.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts