The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil pan leak

POR15 would do a good job on the outside but I wouldn't use it on the inside. The oil in the pan will keep any rust from forming.

boostedinaz

Wow this thread is a bit scary. Had this same problem with a local I was helping. We found a small hair line crack in the pan itself. His first suggestion was to :gasp: replace thepan with a new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif It was 60.00 from Autozone and only took a few days to get from a warehouse in CA to his house. I did put some JB weld over the crack so he could drive it home that night and he had to take a few more trips until the pan came in. I swapped them out and now his car doesn't leak any oil.

I have worked on a LOT of DSMs and it seems these "quick" half ass fixes end up being a permanent part of the car because, "I had another one like this and it worked fine, or I just don't have the time or money right now." These things always come back to bite someone in the ass, usually not the guy who did the "fix" but the guy who just bought it and wants someone to look over it. "What do you mean someone sheet metal screwed a patch panel to an oil pan?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Please for the love of god fix this correctly.

mountaineerjeff

yes its being fixed properly at the moment. +1 on leaving it for the next guy, thats what im dealing with now. I didnt buy a new pan, but I did just get the other one fixed properly. ill have it completed here very soon.

im still not sure what to do with the inside of the pan. I dont want to leave it bare, but I dont think im gonna POR it either. any ideas?

mountaineerjeff

another question, i think i might have messed up, I got a 45* bend into the pan, but def think i shoulda went with the 90* I wasnt sure of the turn radius and i didnt want to cathc the lip, will it interfere with anything only being a 45?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned