The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Uh-Oh! Where does this go?

Dan D

I have a small sealed ball bearing in my box of parts, about 2" in diameter. I have no recollection of where it came off of when pulling the engine and tranny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll try and post a picture later. Anyone know what I'm talking about off the top of their head?

moduleunknown

Not sure where a bearing would come from pulling the engine and tranny... throw out bearing is the first thing that comes to mind, but that's not all that small... skateboard bearings on your shift cables on the tranny side? Has that mod been done? Those are small...

Or maybe it just climbed into your box 'o parts on it's own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Diego

Wait? Skateboard bearings fit into the shif linkage on the trans???? Really... man I got a few sets just layin around

SmoothCustomer

Yes. I would recommend that mod too, it tightened up my shifts a lot. You are probably going to want to use a little dremel sander on the inside of the shift cables to make them go in easier. Two on each cable to replace the rubber bushing.
P.S. This is for shift cables on the tranny, not for the shifter itself.

Dan D

It says Japan on it, but no part number marking

DSC03363.jpg

gtluke

That looks like a pilot bearing, problem is our cars don't have one.

hmm, maybe a skate board bearing that was used on your transmission shifter linkage?

Dan D

It's not from the shift linkage. The cables have standard bushings It's bigger than that anyway. For some reason, maybe just dejavue, I think it was on the transmission mount bracket (on the tranny side) used as a washer of sorts. I think I dreamed that though but maybe not - it was in the box of labeled ziplocs with all the other mount brackets and hardware.

GVR4_1057

Have you got any "buddies" around that may have thrown in a spare part here and there to make the reassembly more interesting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Dan D

Nope. Working by myself. The car was also bone stock when I bought it in '97 so anything not factory is my doing. My other cars are german and those don't have many Japanese parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think I'm just going to pretend I never saw it...

steve

That right there is the first photographic evidence of the oft-maligned muffler bearing. Well done, sir!

Clearly a muffler bearing. No doubt about it.
I think this is a blessing in disguise however, because that one is clearly shot. This should give you an idea, although it doesn't look correct for your application.
click
Muffler bearing removal pics:
click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned