The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

twin disc clutch?

I am looking at buying a new clutch and have been told by many people to upgrade to a twin disc. I am not sure which brand and the differences I should be looking for, does anyone have any suggestions?
Also I remember seeing a while back about people changing to different slave cylinders but I cannot remember what the benefit was to it can someone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Why do you think you need a twin disk? People don't usually upgrade to one until they have to

well my act finally took a crap on me at the end of the season. After I got done building my head and upgrading the turbo I have been taking it extremely high in the rpms and have been told if I want to be able to shift in the 9k range I need to go twin disk.

prove_it

What's your power level, street car, drag car, tell us some details. Hard to make recommendations based off of nothing.

I would estimate my power level between 400 to 425hp but I have never had it on a dyno. I only drive it once or twice a week and I pretty much just drive it to do local drag races.

turbowop

At that power level, I find it hard to believe you need to rev it out to 9k. Based on what little we know so far, I would suggest a good single over a twin for better streetability.

prove_it

Ditto. What turbo do you have and what pressure.

What mods are done? Engine, trans, etc. Don't be shy, only Mark will bite. Also what times are you running?

Why do you need a clutch, are you slipping, poor engagement issues? Also, just because you go to 9k, that doesn't really mean you need to have a big ol' clutch.

I take my 10yr old ACT 2100 clutch to 8.5k. Well did, but no more.

DynastyLCD

Everyone here for the most part will say that you don't need one. But lets look at what you're doing with the car. It gets driven to and from the track pretty much with no real DD use right? So put a PTT in it and enjoy how nice it shifts. They aren't fun to daily but they do shift nicer than any single ever will.

turbowop

I don't completely agree with that anymore. Now that I have perfect hydraulics, a good shifting transmission, and a high quality single disk, any shifting woes I once had are gone. No clutch drag, no grinding, no issues. My car shifts through all gears at 8k+ like buttah. I think a twin is much more beneficial at much higher RPM shifts, which means that for the majority of us that shift at 8k or below, I'm not sure they're worth the downsides. IMHO. Some people love twins. I hated mine.

JamesFoster

Mark, what single disc clutch are you running? I'm either going to go back to a single or switch to the quartermaster 8-leg gear drive twin, still debating.

Boostdtalon

As long as Mark's showcase is correct; I believe he is running this "TMZ clutch *SBC SSX pressure plate and kevlar/ceramic disk".

Quoting DynastyLCD:
Everyone here for the most part will say that you don't need one. But lets look at what you're doing with the car. It gets driven to and from the track pretty much with no real DD use right? So put a PTT in it and enjoy how nice it shifts. They aren't fun to daily but they do shift nicer than any single ever will.

What do you mean by a "PTT"?

DynastyLCD

Powertrain Technology = PTT.

I love the way mine shifts. I had issues with 2100s, 2600 and my clutchmasters setup adjusted all different ways only going to 8k. I also have a funny mentality with these cars. I refuse to buy a built transmission with a lot of the same downfalls that a stock trans has. I would rather pick spare parts out of my bin and fix what I broke in my transmission as opposed to breaking an Evo 3 gear and paying through the nose for it. Not to mention ease of sourcing parts. So instead I bought a twin disc so I could connect the high RPM shifts better. It works like a dream. Even my Frankenstein transmissions built with spare parts from others shifted like a dream. Not shutting on you guys with the built transmissions here. There's just more than one way to get it done that's all

G

Staff member
This is all you need > exedy # 05900 > click

click

Get their # mf03 flywheel as well.

prove_it

I'm still waiting to hear what the OP has for mods......

EMX5636

I've had an Exedy twin in my car for probably 6 years now. I love it, and no harder IMHO to drive than a 2600 ACT. Not cheap, and not a really a drag race clutch, but it has held up to numerous launches at 500ish whp.

cheekychimp

Yeah I mean for all my whining, you can daily a twin-plate, I did for many years but I think a lot depends on your driving conditions. Here in Hong Kong pretty much any journey into town involved stop and go driving in nose to tail traffic. Twin-plates don't like to be slipped for long periods and most drivers don't appreciate you flying into their rear bumper if you let off the twin-plate the way you would when launching.

It was the same with car parks. 90% of urban car parks in Hong Kong are either above street level or below it and the barriers are ALWAYS on the ramps in and out of the car park. It didn't matter where I parked, I always had at least one hill start on a steep incline, not to mention having to creep up to the barrier trying to slip the clutch to avoid smashing into the barrier or the car in front.

Everything else was fine, pulling out of junctions, stopping at toll booths, any regular driving on the flat. Gear shifts flat out at 6000 rpms plus felt great, but for all urban driving, I am so much happier with my CFDF single plate now.

EMX5636

Good point. I'm out in the suburbs, so it's a little stop and go around rush hour, but most is small towns and back roads. I probably would get tired of the twin (any stiff pressure plate, and maybe even manual all together), if I lived in Philly/NYC etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned