The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PTT Twin Disc Clutch - Advice and Insight

turbofonz

Everytime I drive my 1g, then my galant, I wish the PTT was in my galant too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif pedal's soo damn light compared to the 2600 lol. I feel my PTT is VERY streetable though, I know some people's setups have issues, but I'm super happy with mine. I know launching it will be a different story though.

I actually got stuck in the GW bridge traffic coming home from Englishtown. It wasn't bad, and like I said, the light ass pedal actually makes me happier sitting in 30+ minute traffic.

turbowop

It's all about give/take I guess. I also wished I had a lighter pedal while sitting in traffic in Seattle last weekend. My Single disk was giving my left leg a serious workout.

turbofonz

And your driving mood. The PTT you have to think when a street disk setup is a no brainer.

I drive my 1g MUCH less than the galant, so when I do drive it, the lightness of the clutch assembly is so fun for rev matching and stuff, but stop and go the heavier ACT stuff is easier to use. Saying weight of the assembly ( and rev ability)... clearly a lighter pedal is always better lol.

alansupra94

I mean for me, this will be my daily driver but I won't be taking it into the city. Period. I will be mainly driving around Northern NJ and don't see me getting stuck in too much traffic. In the summer, I have my supra and 900rr so I wouldn't be driving it too much.

I feel like the pros for me easily out weight the cons for my application.

- I don't care too much about noise (decel or sitting, got use to it in the Supra).
- I don't see myself launching the car. I know how stressful that is on the drivetrain and will be shying away from that all together. Probably do pulls from 2-3-4.
- I can't see this clutch being THAT much of a pain in the ass over my OS Giken.

Thanks for all the inputs guys!

turbofonz

The only thing that scares me then, is they don't last all that long. Maybe good driving will last longer, but I've gotten stupid miles out of my ACT junk. I really don't have enough miles on the PTT to give any data though.

turbowop

Quoting alansupra94:
I mean for me, this will be my daily driver but I won't be taking it into the city. Period. I will be mainly driving around Northern NJ and don't see me getting stuck in too much traffic. In the summer, I have my supra and 900rr so I wouldn't be driving it too much.

I feel like the pros for me easily out weight the cons for my application.

- I don't care too much about noise (decel or sitting, got use to it in the Supra).
- I don't see myself launching the car. I know how stressful that is on the drivetrain and will be shying away from that all together. Probably do pulls from 2-3-4.
- I can't see this clutch being THAT much of a pain in the ass over my OS Giken.

Thanks for all the inputs guys!

It's not just the stop/go that sucked for me. Driving in town with stoplights and stuff sucked as well. Did your OS Giken have sprung hubs? More forgiving friction material that would slip? I've had buddies with Evos that used twins, but they acted just like a regular old single disk. The twins made for DSM's are not very forgiving. I really think you should find a local guy that has one and see if you can drive it.

alansupra94

Lol too late. I already bought it.

It is actually pretty funny but I don't have many car friends. I am well known in the supra and dsm community but don't go out to meets/event/etc too often.

I mean for my supra, I rev match on downshifts and it is pretty on/off like. Just took me time to get used to.

Replaced my PTT setup (organic discs) with an XTD Stage 3...splines disintegrated at WOT in 3rd gear with no warning on a road with with no shoulders.

alansupra94

Your PTT did that or the XTD Stage 3?

Btw, I decided to sell my setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Reason: I got myself a Carbonetic Triple Plate clutch for a decent deal.

My PTT did that sorry. A little warning or slip would have been nice. The XTD Stage 3 has been great so far....I added about 5 pounds of rotational mass even with the lighter flywheel, but saved myself about $900.

Life I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck on your new setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned