The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo issues

i think my turbo is leaking oil what could it be and how much r we talking about for repairs

Is oil leaking from it? Or do you see oil inside the intake inlet, or in your intake pipe?

havent realy looked at it too much yet so far all i see is a lot of oil build up around it and it drips off and hit down pipe

1990ggsxnj

Pictures would help. If you can't tell exactly where its coming from than clean everything as much as possible, run it, and check to see where fresh oil is.

i also have oil lightly covering my trans could that b the valve cover leaking . try to take some pics and post tomorow

I have noticed most leaks on the 4g63/t come from the valve cover, oil pan gasket and the oil return lines.

Valve cover = super easy, use new gaskets and rtv - I believe rock auto has the valve cover gasket set on sale right now ~17$ (shipped) if I remember correctly).

The oil pan isnt to bad but make sure not to squeeze the gasket out when tightening it down. The t-case and some cross members will need to be dropped to fully access the oil pan. again use RTV, some board members just use straight rtv. If the oil pan is tweaked or thought not to be true, get a new one or expect to do the job all over again.

Turbo oil return lines, get these from mitsu and buy a few to keep in stock if you somehow get some type of contamination and it doesnt seal, i use rtv on these also...

If it was my ride, replace all of the above. The oil pan and the turbo return gaskets, I do these together regardless. Always use a torque wrench please.

Please get some more information and some pictures up if you're in doubt. Lay under the car for awhile with a flash light and try to trace the oil if it is possible. If the leak location cannot be pin pointed, look into some UV dyes and follow the bottle directions to a T.

yeti

Quoting Red_Bird:
Is oil leaking from it? Or do you see oil inside the intake inlet, or in your intake pipe?

Is this bad if you see oil in your intake inlet?

SouthCaliVR4

On the inlet side it's probably blowby from the valve cover vent condensing in the intake, unless it's mostly on the outlet side of the turbo.

Quoting yeti:
Quoting Red_Bird:

Is this bad if you see oil in your intake inlet?

It may or may not be. If you still have your PCV hose connected from your valve cover to your intake then yes, it could just be high crankcase pressure sending the oil into the intake to get burned by design, thats normal. Or you may have a bad seal in your turbo.

A way to test that is to clean the oil out of your intake pipe and off your turbo inlet. Then get an oil catch can or a breather filter or something in the place of the PCV hose, plug the hole on t he intake pipe. Drive for a week or two, if you have new oil intheir then you can be sure it's your turbo.

grocery_getter

The PCV valve and hose is the one going into the intake manifold.

The one that is going into the intake pipe is called "breather hose", which has nothing to do with the PCV valve.

Don't confuse the two.

img.php

sorry about crappy photos but oil is all over top of trans and side of engine by thermosstat housing and for some reason splattered ocross top of hood over timing belt but nothing on timing belt

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned