The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil leak and billowing smoke out exhaust

raptorWagon

After much frustration I am still in "wtf" mode with my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif . These issues didn't arise till after my 16g siezed and had to revert back to the 14b.

1st problem - leaking oil
At first I thought I fixed the leak on the turbo side of the oil drain tube (new gasket), but apparently not, so I replaced the oil filter as it is leaking in that area. Next guess would be the filter housing itself or the maybe the oil pump housing. I could see oil around the bottom of the timing belt cover and all over the filter housing.

Rather ask before I dig further.

Secondly I'm billowing smoke out the exhaust, it doesn't really smell like oil and it's not thick. Only becomes visible once the engine is warmed up and under load or just warmed up idling. I am not in boost during any of this, only 3mi from base, no need to.

These to problems are getting real annoying especially having the oil leak.
I will check tomorrow morning for any residue left in the muffler and thinking about doing a compression test just to be safe (tested late last year, 150 across the board).

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

How long ago did your turbo eat itself?

When my snail went, I burned oil from the exhaust pipe for about 2 weeks after fixing everything.

You just need to burn out the oil that went down the exhaust.

Terry Posten

Keep checking the oil level and drive it. It the new turbo is good, then the smoke should stop in a week or so.

The longer drives burn more out. The whole exhaust system needs to be HOT.

prove_it

I agree. It takes some time for the oil in the rear most sections to get hot enough to burn off. Looks like you have an excuse to go out and get on it for a while. If the cops ask, your a tech doing an auto repair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptorWagon

^ lol only problem is we have 4 police juridictions(sp?) patroling this town, state patrol, Base PD, Coupeville sheriff and county sheriff. It would get annoying telling each cop that.

I can't type for nothing on no sleep.

beigetsi

Compression test and leak down never hurts. +1 drive for a while to see where the smoking goes. Oil leaks are always a pain because oil gets everywhere and its hard to track it down. Has the balance shafts been removed? If you suspect anything oil pump, looks like you get to do a timing job. Cant really be front case gasket or the front case crank seal, but you will find that out as soon as you have time to check. Might be the seal in the front case the housing for the oil pump nubby thing(dont have the terminology), has the cap is behind the oil pump gear, need a flat head and a hammer to get it off, ring any bells, the seal may have dried out and started leaking and running down to the oil return on the pan giving a false read. Is there oil on your belts,or a track from the head? Brake clean what you can, run it, and the fun part watching and waiting. Dont take my word for it trying to build post count. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

raptorWagon

So much for having the weekend off to fiddle with this more. Hate the Navy sometimes, gotta work all weekend, no days off till next weekend. Driving it seems to be working at dissapating the excess oil in the exhaust.

Balance shafts are still intact, the alt belt had some oil on it(no ps or ac anymore), the t-belt I will have to check.

I'll keep up to date

raptorWagon

here's a long awaited update. all smoke out the tailpipe is gone from both cases (14b and broke dick E16g). I'm Leaning towards these 3 possibilities due to location of blowby

Oil Pan Gasket? maybe?
Oil Pump
OFH

Oil is only on this side of the car, in this area, and under acceleration/pulls

Extra info - idling variates sometimes around 1100, 850, and then 560ish rpms. At 560 oil pressure is about 5-6psi.

I'm sure you checked, but did you check the post the oil filter screws on to? Maybe that's a bit loose which keeps the filter from being fully tightened. Every time I change my filter I make sure it's tight. I guess if yours isn't it would have backed up enough to dump a lot of oil rather than just dripping a bit. Good luck!

raptorWagon

update, did the above ^ check. Tightened it and it's still leaking so after searching through threads about it, looks like I'll be converting over to the 90' OFH setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned