The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transfer Case Recall

cspetros

I've read bits and pieces about this recall in other posts. Who here has had their transfer case replaced under this recall? How did you go about this? I've never dealt with a dealer, which is why I ask.

My tcase is leaking, and I suspect it was never turned in to a dealer.

I found this piece of history, also: cLiCkY

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You will get it inspected. If it has a leaking yoke, they will replace the yoke, likely not the complete transfer case.

Terry Posten

If it has never been done in the past. 1 shot deal. 1 and done.

And if the dealer is a prick, they will hold up the process until you call the Mitsu complaint line and raise holy hell for 3 months.

At least that was my experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DailyDSM

I had one lock up on the freeway a few months after owning it. Went into the dealer (didn't tell them about it locking up) and asked them if there were any recalls for my car. I gave them my VIN # and they looked it up as I watched. Nothing came up for my car as having ever been serviced for a recall nor was any recall listed. I then told them what happened and they said they had never done any transfer case recalls on any cars other than 3000GT VR4s. It really seems to depend on what dealer you go to. Worst case scenario, buy the recall kit and replace the yoke. I bought the recall kit but ended up just followinng the VFAQ and repairing the yoke myself. The leak stopped although I still don't completely trust the car on the freeway for long durations anymore.

tsiboy

i didnt want the stealership to touch my car after the attitude they gave me over the phone, so i did it myself. so the problem was taken care of and i had peace of mind in the end.

-alex

turbowop

Quoting DailyDSM:
The leak stopped although I still don't completely trust the car on the freeway for long durations anymore.

As long as the xfer case has fluid, you shouldn't worry about it. That leaky yoke is the main cause of all the problems. People don't look under their cars enough or don't worry about a couple spots on the driveway and just keep driving the cars and end up in these situations. The case doesn't hold much fluid so it doesn't take long for it to go dry if the yoke is leaking.

I changed out my own with the recall yoke kit back in '03.

Last edited:

Wizardawd

FYI: The recall is only good for 10 years after issue. So no dealership is REQUIRED to do anything period on the recall. Regardless if it was never done. This was directly from NHTSA.

But....they can still do it, even if they have done it b4. It comes down to the management. If it has never been done, then you can push it and they will probably do it since everyone makes out....especially if the T-case gets replaced (Tip....drain it out just b4 you get there, the recall states if the drain plug is removed and if no fluid comes out, T-case needs to be replaced). However, if it has been done you are better off just buying the cheap yoke kit and fixing it yourself. Save you the hold time on the phone and arguing with people.

Wiz

gvr4ever

I wouldn't even bother going to the dealer for a recall now. They don't want to even look at your car, much less touch it.

I had mine done in 98 and that was a PITA. Mitsu is good about calling a inspection a recall service.

I really doubt they will help you, even if they are obligated to. Just fix it yourself.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

On my car it was already done but if it weren't I would not go to satan. I went for the TC recall to satan back in 02 with my 91gsx and if I would of known ahead of time the headaches and wasted time/money I would of just paid for a good known transfer case and call it a day.

Here's what happened (sorry for the long post):

I bought the car and shortly after I started noticing this grinding noise under the car. I started doing some research on line and found out about the recalls and stuff. I decided to change the oil in it just to be safe. Took the drain plug off and very little oil came out (maybe enough to fill up a small cup of coffee).

I put the plug back in a filled it up with fresh fluid. Drove like that for few days and decided to drain it to see what comes out. What came out was very little oil and a lot of shavings (chunks more like it). Filled it up with fresh fluid and drove it straight to the dealer where it sat for about a week because they didn't want to do the recall. After numerous calls to the district manager and NHTSA they only agree to do the seals on the TC but not completely replace it.

I wasn't too happy with that and after few more calls I was told that's the best they can do for me. I went to pick up my car and the dealer told me they would of replaced my transfer case if my car wasn't modified (k&n air filter was the only under the hood mod) and front tires that were worn on the outer edge a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif .

Picked it up and drove it straight to Mitsugraveyard in LI where Gary hooked me up with a fresh rebuilt transfer case for $150 and I put in it my self.

Screw satan, for a while I drove with the old transfer case in the hatch of the gsx waiting for the perfect moment to throw it through the dealership front window but it never got around to it as the dealership moved.

solidviper89

I got a free Xcase last year from Satan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He was nice and gave cookies and coffee. It took him the whole weekend to do the damn job but its the only nice and shiny, new part on my car.

I even got the receipts its like 1800 bucks plus labor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh and I got new x case bolts to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1990ggsxnj

I went to the dealer stating the car had locked up and they still couldn't do anything as they didn't see a recall. They just offered to do the work to fix it at my cost.

Question:
Where is this recall fix kit everyone is so aware of?? I havn't seen it on any site I've been to for parts.

cspetros

^^Good question. Based on what everyone has said, I think I'd be better off buying this kit and repairing it myself instead of letting the dealer do it. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

1990ggsxnj

Great, I'll be sure to get this at the dealer today.

Does anyone know if the GGSX had the same problem? I have 2 plus the vr4 and will just do those as well if the problem exists.

cspetros

The recall applied to all AWD Galants, and other models. I was referring to my G-GSX, also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

Have them look it up, the dealer here in town did mine I went down there twice and finally told the service manager I didn't like his tone and wanted to talk to the general manager right F(*&%^( NOW. Got a new transfer case, yoak and new u joints.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned